Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superted666

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Hey people,

Right im still in the learning curve of DSLR (arnt we all!)

I own a a100 with two kit lenses, my 18-70 is great for a kit lense but its spec 3.5 - 5.6 /18-70 means its a not perfect for shooting fast speeds because its fstop value is quite high meaning its a slow lense (am i right)

Mainly im thinking of mountain biking over here in the uk so some sunny but mainly overcast shots, need the zoon to get the shots but could do with something quick, whats my most cost effective lens? a old KM lense? which one??????

superted666

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
yea i no im asking a lot but zoom doesnt have to be massive... and i am looking at old KM lenses to reduce costs... help me out guys :)

ill pay for quality just want to be carefull not to spend too much...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well if you're not looking for something like a 70-200 mm f/2.8, then you're likely in luck. I mean, there are lots of zoom lenses that go from 18-50 f/2.8 or 28-75 mm f/2.8 (thereabouts....don't want to give exact values, but these are common), or even 28-135 mm, although this type of zoom won't be as fast. It may be an f/2.8-4 or something.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Fast zooms get expensive really quickly. I did a quick google and found this lens. I know that it is f/3.5-5.6 but surely this is fast enough for outdoor sports even in cloudy, overcast England. Even if it is a little bit slow, you can always bump the ISO for those really overcast days.

Sorry I can't help you out with old KM lenses but I know nothing about them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.