Lens choice for videography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jackos, Feb 19, 2012.

1. jackos macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm sure you've had a hundred of these questions asked but I'm really stuck.

I have decided to buy a Cannon 550d and I am having allot of trouble choosing what lenses I will need for shooting videos.

I will be shooting mainly cycling videos so I will need zoom lenses with good low-light capability's but I will also be shooting while it is very sunny so it will have to be able to cope with that both.

I was thinking of a 18-55 and a 18-200. I have roughly about $650 USD to spend on two lenses.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Jack.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

$650 won't get you any closer to lowlight capabilities then this, especially not if you want zoom too, and thats the darn cheapest there is

3. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

You can shoot video through any lens or to my knowledge. At first I thought you wanted to make amateur movies or what not, then I re-read your post. I suppose you could make amateur movies with the lenses you mentioned. You might be able to stay within budget if you buy 3rd party lenses. Which lenses? I don't know, because you are on a tight budget for a walk around lens and a 18-200! Why do you want both lenses with 18mm wideness?

4. jackos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply's guys,
    To be honest I'm not too sure why I picked the too lenses with the same with, I don't know much at all about lenses so they were just ones that I thought would be good. So if I were to go with the lense that mulo suggested and an 18-55 would that pretty much cover everything or would I need other lenses too?

Thanks
    Jack

5. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe tamron/sigma lenses? 17-50 tamron f/2.8 is a good lens for around $300(on Nikon at least)

6. 100Teraflops, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

The 18-55 and 70-200 would cover you! I do not own either lenses in question, but the 70-200 4L should be sharp and fairly proficient in low light. The Tamron 17-50 is should be a good lens in low light situations. The problem is they will exceed your projected budget. Look for a used copy of the 70-200 4L. Furthermore, you can save some money and be closer to your budget if you buy used, but you must decide if you can deal with second hand goods. Hope this helps Jacko!

P.S. You should buy the mentioned lenses, then figure out which direction you want to go. After using both zoom lenses, you will have a better idea where you want to go next. Plus you will have more cash by then.

7. jackos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. The budget is quite flexible my only limitation is how long I am willing to save for.

Thanks
    Jack

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

hear hear