Lens cleaner on iPhone 6 display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Milese3, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Milese3 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I recently purchased an iPhone 6 Plus, however, I cannot tolerate smudges/fingerprints on the display.

Recently I have started using the lens cleaner that came with my glasses to clean the display when it becomes very smudged. Can this do any damage to the display?

2. urda Suspended

urda

I've never had to use any type of liquid cleaner on my screens. I suggest you just use a simple microfiber cleaning cloth when you want to wipe the screen clear.

3. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I have used pre-packaged eyeglass wipes for my iPhone 5. After months of cleaning, I noticed the screen always looked smudged and it was "sticky" to use. I think it lessened the life of or removed the oleophobic screen coating. I would recommend just using a lint-free cloth and water.

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Apple recommends a soft cloth dampened with a little bit of water. Wipe the screen and then use a dry portion of the same cloth to wipe again for shine. I use old T-shirt material.

I've been doing this since 2009 on iPhone 3GS, 4, 5, 6, iPad, iPad 4, and iPad Mini-R. Results have always been very satisfactory and screens look like new.

5. Mustangjac macrumors member

Mustangjac

The coatings on the glass are very likely susceptible to the chemicals in some cleaners. But as others have said, a damp, soft cloth works wonders. And I'd only say the damp part is needed when there's something other than just smudges on the screen. A dry, soft cloth is just fine. I keep a microfiber detailing cloth in my car at all times anyway. For my sunglasses, phone, stereo screen....etc.

I'd stay away from chemicals on any of these things anyway.

6. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

There is no need to use any liquid to remove fingerprints, they come right off with a microfiber cloth, or even a clean t-shirt.

7. shaunmed macrumors regular

Vicunia fiber is softest fabric in the world. I wish they made TP out of this stuff.

[​IMG]

8. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

The dampness helps with picking up any particulate matter that's on the screen. You don't want to use dry pressure to push around something that could scratch (even though that's not supposed to happen.)