Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tazflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
I am new to shooting video for my kids' soccer games. I've got a Canon DSLR and a tripod. I'm typically right near the sidelines unless there is bleacher seating which is definitely the minority. I'd love some recommendations on lenses that would do a good job.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
What are you looking to get from the video?

Tight single shots? Wides? Being able to real the opposite goal from the other goal?

What's your budget?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am new to shooting video for my kids' soccer games. I've got a Canon DSLR and a tripod. I'm typically right near the sidelines unless there is bleacher seating which is definitely the minority. I'd love some recommendations on lenses that would do a good job.

I highly suggest you go to a Canon forum for your question. You didn't say which Canon camera you have and that too makes a difference. In days of yore (film days) it would not be atypical to see hobbyist photographers using something around an 80-200 range lens and usually the fastest lens they can buy (f/2.8 or f/4). Given that you are doing video, you would benefit from any vibration control, continual autofocus and ability to use larger memory cards (along with enough batteries to last the game and then some).

There are enough post process software packages out there to also realize if you are just slightly too far away you may opt with some "scenes" to give up a little quality for an in software crop.

If you have the time and patience along with a few bits in your pocket, you might consider renting a couple of lenses and see what works best in zoom range for you and if your camera will work well for fast action sports.

My camera does video but it absolutely would be terrible for shooting soccer games. Hopefully your Canon will serve you well on these video shoots. - Just practice for a bit before shooting a game that is important to you so you know the ins and outs of - pans, zooms, when to go wide and when to go tight (zoom in) etc. For sports, there is an craft involved and ability to anticipate.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

You are going to want a fast zoom lens. If budget allows a fixed f/2.8. The classic is the 80-200 but it might not go wide enough for you if the caction gets close.

Also are you simply recording the game or is this a story about soccer that involves practice, getting ready and kids on the sidelines and so on. If you you need a wider lens. a fast 35mm at least.

Also think about a good fluid head and a BIG sun shade for the lens

If this is just to record the game I'd leave the SLR at home and spend $300 on a new Canon HFR400. It is cheaper than a lens for the SLR and for casual use produces better results.

Tazflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
What are you looking to get from the video?

Tight single shots? Wides? Being able to real the opposite goal from the other goal?

What's your budget?

It's a Canon Rebel T3i. Wider is more common up close because I want to capture what the kids are seeing more than precise technique.

As far as position, I'm typically close to midfield and would want to be able to pan towards one goal and towards the other as the action dictates.

Thanks!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
If you want a soccer game broadcast style of video then go for a low-distortion zoom lens. 24-70 on a tripod could be your go-to lens.
If you want something more up close then the 70-200 or the new Sigma 120-300 is a great choice.

In fact what you may want is the Bigma, bolded to emphasize its bigness, the Sigma 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 superzoom. Since for video you don't need super sharp resolution this lens might suit your needs very, very well. If you want a more Canon solution the 18-135 or 18-200 are good choices, since they have the wide angle that the Bigma misses out on.

I'd gravitate toward the superzooms for their massive ranges that come in handy in sports.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I
In fact what you may want is the Bigma, bolded to emphasize its bigness, the Sigma 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 superzoom. Since for video you don't need super sharp resolution ..

If you are cutting the video into a story or have multiple cameras then you can use the big lens. Otherwise a tight will just confuse the viewer.

A close shot needs a wider establishing shot. That is just basic "editing 101" theory and we all know. But you can't get the wider shot in a game without two cameras. Or if shooting a story you have the actors do the scene two if more times. You really can't make use of such a long telephoto lens.

If the games are outdoors in daylight you can use a low cost 18-105 f/5.6 consumer type lens. Yo are not going to need VR if you have a fluid head type video tripod

As said above if you are panning the camera and can't control the sun angle you will want one of those big brn door type mat boxes

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
If you are cutting the video into a story or have multiple cameras then you can use the big lens. Otherwise a tight will just confuse the viewer.

A close shot needs a wider establishing shot. That is just basic "editing 101" theory and we all know. But you can't get the wider shot in a game without two cameras. Or if shooting a story you have the actors do the scene two if more times. You really can't make use of such a long telephoto lens.

If the games are outdoors in daylight you can use a low cost 18-105 f/5.6 consumer type lens. Yo are not going to need VR if you have a fluid head type video tripod

As said above if you are panning the camera and can't control the sun angle you will want one of those big brn door type mat boxes

Superzooms have the ability to zoom in from a wide angle shot to an extreme closeup, reducing the need for a multi-cam setup.
Video needs sheer versatility, and they provide just that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.