Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Ok so I hear people talk about lens hoods and lens shades. Are they used interchangeably? I was looking to get one. What brand is the best and where can I get one?

BTW...my budget is limited and I'm just looking for something decent to start out.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
The term "hood" and "shade" are often used interchangeably. The basic purpose is to block unwanted light from entering the lens which can cause lens flare and other anomalies. It is important to use a hood or shade designed for the widest focal length of the lens. A deep hood or one without sufficient diameter may cause vignetting.

A lens "hood" is usually round or rectangular and protrudes from the lens. You'll need to determine if your lens can accept a standard lens hood; not all lenses have threads for mounting accessories to the front of the lens. Some may require a special mounting and are generally available only form the lens or camera manufacturer.

A "shade" can be anything that shades or "flags" light from entering the lens. Shades can be found on matte boxes or fitted from improvised materials such as construction paper or aluminum foil or you can use your hand.

Most lens hoods are relatively inexpensive; matte boxes are often very expensive in comparison. You can usually find the universal type of lens hood at most pro camera shops. But if your lens requires one of the fitted types, you may need to order it through a dealer that carries that brand of camera/lens.

-DH

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
what kind would you recommend for a canon optura 20?

The specs for your camera show a thread mount of 37mm which is pretty small. Any 37mm lens hood should work as long as it isn't so deep that is causes vignetting when the lens is set at its widest focal length.

Do a Google search for 37mm+hood to see what's available.

-DH

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
thanks so much everyone for the help...I think i'll pick that one up from them...thats a good price

Just be sure to check it out completely when you get it.

Put it on the camera and shoot some video, zooming in and out to the limits of your optics. Once you've done this, view the recording on a monitor or some other device, NOT the camera monitor (it does not show the full frame image on most cameras.)

Check the corners of the shot for vignetting - if you see that the corners are out of focus or are dark, make note of where the lens was set at that point (zoomed in or out - most likely out.) If you do see vignetting, you'll have to avoid using the lens at that setting when shooting.

Just something to be aware of when using a hood...

MD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.