Lens options for Canon stills and video

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by THX1139, Oct 15, 2011.

1. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I own a Canon 60D of which I use primarily for video (narrative and experimental video). However, I also shoot stills and that is why I went the DSLR route instead of buying a dedicated video-only system.

I'm on a limited budget and will be building my system over the next year or two. My initial investment was the 60D and the Canon EFs 18-55 for general purpose. My first major lens purchase that I got last week was the Tamron 28-75 2.8. So far, the Canon 18-55 has proven to be a nice lens for general purpose photography, and the Tamron is quite nice for the price (I paid just over $425 for it). The thing I don't like about the Tamron is the auto focus when doing still photography. In reasonable light, it has trouble locking on and keeps noisily hunting for the focus point. I usually wind up switching to manual focus in most situations. I found out the hard way when I went through a bunch of stills I shot the other day and had to throw out half of them due to focus issues and lens flair. In comparison, the Canon is fast, silent, and usually spot on. Which is pretty interesting when you consider that it cost around $150 comrade to the $400 plus for the Tamron lens.

Anyway, what I would like is an opinion on the Tamron lens. Is there any other lens you would recommend besides this one (other than paying 3x the amount for the Canon equivalent). I looked at Sigma and Tokina, but in most reviews, the Tamron comes out on top. I'm just dissatisfied and wondering if I'm expecting too much from a 3rd party lens. I might have to save up and get the Canon unless someone can recommend a better lens for that price range.

Finally, for those of you who do stills and video, what is your lens line up? I'm thinking a relatively wide and fast lens (maybe the 11-16 Tokina?), a 50mm 1.4 Canon, A mid-range (The 28-75 f2.8 Tamron I currently own, unless I return it for something else) and eventually a long lens. Love to get the 200-400 f4 if and when I can afford it! After I buy all the lenses, I'm going to be investing in stabilizing gear, matte boxe, slider, and focus pull.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I have a couple of weeks before my 30 day return window expires on my Tamron.

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have the 28-75 Tamron and it is my most used lens. I like the sharpness for the type of still photography that I do, which is mainly landscape shots. The auto-focus is a bit slack, but that's part of the price you pay for third party lenses. Since my subjects don't move, I like manual focus. I learned on film before the advent of auto-focus, anyway.

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 seems to make a good low light and video lens.

Here is a review page on B&H Photo and Video.

BTW: The Canon 28-70 f/2.8 L lens is $1400. My bet is that the auto-focus is a killer...but...$1400?

Dale

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have a T3i which I use for mostly stills however I do use for shooting vids ever now and then. I have the Canon 10-22 (for wide angle shots), 24-105 L for primary use as well as a 50mm 1.8 for whatever. I don't really like/use the 50mm all that much but for $100, can't be its quality.

The build quality of the third party lenses can sometimes be hot or miss. I've read lots of reviews, both pro and con, for all lenses however I see more people with Sigma's than any other brand. I'm a Canon whore myself so I'm always looking for Canon lenses as i trust their build quality a little more than the third party manufacturers have. The same can be said with Canon lenses in terms of build quality however it's a lot less common with them.

4. fc0712 macrumors regular

is the t3i good or does it feel too much of plastic

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Not really. It feels pretty good/solid. A little small for me but the addition of the battery grip fixed that.

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is from your other thread.

I have the 28-75 Tamron and it is my most used lens. I like the sharpness for the type of still photography that I do, which is mainly landscape shots. The auto-focus is a bit slack, but that's part of the price you pay for third party lenses. Since my subjects don't move, I like manual focus. I learned on film before the advent of auto-focus, anyway.

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 seems to make a good low light and video lens.

Here is a review page on B&H Photo and Video.

BTW: The Canon 28-70 f/2.8 L lens is $1400. My bet is that the auto-focus is a killer...but...$1400?

Dale