Lens Rental and Boundary Waters Trip

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MattSepeta, Jun 3, 2010.

  1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816


    Jul 9, 2009
    375th St. Y
    We just confirmed our Boundary Waters trip! for July!!! YES.

    I am going to try to take advantage of this trip and take as many photos as possible, and wondered what you guys would do in my situation...

    I have
    -70-200 f/4L
    -Tamron 60mm f/2
    -canon 17-55 f/2.8IS
    -2 batteries
    -2 4GB cards
    -2 stop ND Filter for 17-55
    -I also have a tripod and a monopod.

    Now, like I said, I want to make the most out of this trip, so I am planning on either
    A) sell the 70-200f/4 to get a 70-200 f/2.8 IS
    B) Sell the 70-200 f/4 to get a sigma 70-200 f/2.8 or the tamron 70-200 f/2.8 (Does sigma or tamron offer versions with IS/VC/OS?)
    C) Keep my 70-200 f/4 for the time being and rent a 10-22, possibly buy a nicer tripod as well just to cover more bases.

    I realize that they are for different purposes, but I am planning on upgrading the 70-200 anyways, I think mine has some slight focus issues and I would LOVE the f/2.8....

    But I would also really love to bring an UWA lens, and upgrading my tripod to a nice carbon fiber would be pretty cool, not to mention overdue... Thoughts?

    With all that being said, does anyone have any random advice for bringing nice photo equipment on an intense camping/canoe trip? Water proof bags? Anything? Any other equipment I should consider? Thanks a ton!

    PS: Is there any sort of Camera insurance I could buy just in case my canoe flips or a bear snatches my camera bag? I have heard that renters insurance can cover stuff liek that, but I don't know about it helping while I am on a trip...
  2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

    Jun 9, 2009
    Really depends on what you are going to shoot. If you're after wildlife, 70-200 may not be long enough and f/4 may not be fast enough.

    I like UWA lenses, and would like to bring one along on such a trip. But your shooting preferences may differ.

    If you really will acquire new gear, I would get it done *very* soon. Being familiar with your gear is incredibly important and one month is probably at the near end of what you would want to have to ensure everything is working properly and you know how to operate it.

    If you're going to be doing a lot of canoeing, waterproof bags or a pelican box (waterproof) might be a good idea. There will always be a balance between protecting the gear from water and having it immediately available for photo opportunities.

    P.S. don't forget to bring appropriate cleaning materials. Lens cloth, rocket blower, maybe some lens cleaning solution (even small bottle of distilled water) and probably a couple of lenspens as well. If you are going to be "in the field" for extended periods you will need to be sure you can clean your gear without depending on outside sources.
  3. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816


    Jul 9, 2009
    375th St. Y

    Thanks Ruahrc!

    I really do like the UWA. I had a friends 10-22 for an entire year before I had to give it back, and LOVED it. After doing a bit more research, here is my current plan...

    Try to sell my 70-200f/4L ASAP. Use the proceeds to go towards a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II. I also may want to buy either a sigma 1.4x TC or a sigma 2x TC to use with it. I want to be able to shoot wildlife, but that is not my main focus, hence, not wanting to spring for the canon 2.8L when I typically use wide focal lengths.

    Then rent a 10-22 to bring along on the trip.
  4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

    Jul 25, 2003
    I second, third, and fourth this. I spend a lot of time kayaking, canoeing, rafting, etc., and you will definitely want to keep your gear protected from the water. A pelican case is bulkier and more expensive than SealLine bags, but they are much faster to open and close. With dry bags, you have to roll the top down at least three times for their to be a good seal (and even then they can fail).

    Whichever you use, toss in a silica packet or two. Your hands will get wet while paddling, which will mean some water droplets on your camera. Usually this isn't a problem. But take that camera and put it inside a completely sealed dry bag or pelican case and put it in the sun, and you have a lot of humidity going on inside.
  5. jampat macrumors 6502a

    Mar 17, 2008
    I'd avoid a 2x. They really do smear the pictures. I have one and am trying to switch for a 1.4 (especially now that megapixels are creeping up so crops become viable).

    If you are interested in wildlife, a 300 f/4 is <$1000 and is much sharper than a 70-200+1.4x (which is much sharper than 70-200+2x).
  6. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816


    Jul 9, 2009
    375th St. Y
    Jampat: I took your advice and looked into the 300 f/4IS. It looks like an awesome lens, and I would rather add another prime anyways.

    I hopped on craigslist this morning and found a 300f/4IS for $750 so I told the guy I would give him $800 if he held it for me until I sell my 70-200 f/4.

    This may be just what I was looking for!
  7. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Oct 14, 2008
  8. compuwar macrumors 601


    Oct 5, 2006
    Northern/Central VA
    You might also want to look at the 400/4.5, reach is everything in wildlife and it spanks the 100-400.

    The insurance you're looking for is an "inland marine" policy, which covers pretty-much any damage.


Share This Page