Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptor96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
RI
Hello friends :D

So I've been happily shooting with my D50's stock 18-55 and moving around as need be. However I'm going on a trip to S. America with my family and I'd like to be able to take more closeup images as we'll be going on wildlife excursions etc. I wanted to rent a super-telephoto for the two weeks I'll be gone and I thought I'd turn to y'all to get an idea of who's good (and cheap!) to rent from online - and any experiences you've had. I'm planning on asking my local camera shop tomorrow if they do rentals so if they do I'll go w/ them but otherwise online. Any advice you may have is much appreciated :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Any advice you may have is much appreciated :)

Make sure you have insurance that will cover the loss or damage in a different country. Make sure your tripod head is able to hold the lens. See if you can also rent a polarizer for whichever lens you pick. If possible, try to have a bag that's sized for it attached to the camera if you intend to shoot with it a lot.

That's all I've got...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Any advice you may have is much appreciated :)

Think about how big your tripod is. Don't rent a lens that is larger than it can handle.

Also be sure and check out used lenses. You can buy a 70-200 f/2.8 for maybe $650 200mm on a "crop body" is a long lens. It is about the limit you can hand hold. Better to buy a used lens then pay $50 a day for two weeks

Now if you really do want a "super tele" they are very expensive and renting may be best but can you really use one of these? A 400mm lens is a specialty item best suited to using carfully on a tripod and ball head. Such a setup is not portable. You 'd set this in one spot and wait. Not really the way most tours work. The 70-200 is more of an on the go lens.

The local place here beats all those on-line rental outfits. I bet it's the same for you too.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
A 400mm lens is a specialty item best suited to using carfully on a tripod and ball head.

Substitute "gimbal" for "ball" and I'll heartily agree with you. I remember trying to use my 400 before I got my Wimberly though, and that's painful!

You're right to alluding to the fact that good long lens technique isn't necessarily something that someone just gets right is a good one though and should probably be spelled out more clearly. If the OP's eyes are set on anything longer than a 300/2.8 then they should rent the combo for a long weekend shoot around town before they travel with it- and even the 300's more fun on a Sidekick than a ball head.

Mr Ikasu

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2004
Have you considered buying a used lens and selling on after the trip?
Would probably cost next to nothing if you don't mind the hastle.

raptor96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
RI
Have you considered buying a used lens and selling on after the trip?
Would probably cost next to nothing if you don't mind the hastle.

That's a good idea but that would require a lot more work and cash that I don't have :)

On further review, my local camera shop doesn't do rentals :( so it's either rent online or nothing. I did talk to my brother though and since he just got a 55-200 VR which he won't be using during that time, he said I could borrow it! So I think this is probably what I'll do considering that as a number of people have pointed out, 200mm is probably the extent of what I could handhold (and this being a cruise + land trips I don't think a tripod would be so easy to lug around) and additionally, it's the cheapest (free) option :D

Thanks for all the advice!

By the by if anyone stumbles on this thread while searching, there's another thread that links to an extensive review of one lens rental site (iirc rentglass.com) and says it's quite good.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
you do realize that this thread was posted years ago? I am sure he is back from the trip by now.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
mccoyDeadThread.jpg

TKEik683

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
NY
I have used lensrentals.com and had great experiences with them each time. I cant speak highly enough about them.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.