Lens Suggestions for Sony A65 Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by guzhogi, Jun 1, 2012.

1. guzhogi, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I have a Sony alpha 65 DSLR camera. I was wondering what kinds of lenses you suggest? I'm an amateur photographer that just wants everyday kind of pictures. I have a 15 month old niece (who's totally cute, needless to say) that I want to take pictures, plus my dog who likes to run around like crazy. ANd take pictures of when I go on vacation (either landscapes or me w/ friends, etc.).

I have the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera, but want one that can do good macro stuff (like flowers) and telephoto stuff.

Also, any good flashes you guys suggest?

Other than Sony, what other companies make compatible lenses?

Thanks in advance!

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

The first thing is to decide exactly what is lacking with the current lens.

I bet if is simply to slow. A good second lens is a very fast prime. For people shots and dogs try the 50mm f/1.4 Or whatever you get make sure it is AT LEAST f/2.8 The wider aperture will allow a faster shutter speed and will allow you to blur out the background. I think a 50mm f/1.4 should be included with the camera (they always used to be) It is not zoom but I assume you have feet and can vary the subject to camera distance.

A low cost way to get into macro photography is to get a set of diopters. This look like screw-on filters but act just like reading glasses. They come in "powered" of +1, +2 or +5 or like that. Hoya makes them. The best brand is either Nikon or Canon. They work well and can be used with your existing lens.

You 18-55 is an EXCELENT land scape lens. But to improve your landscapes and absolutely REQUIRED for macros is a good tripod. A tripod will do much to improve both genre.

3. guzhogi thread starter macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Thanks for the advice!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you want telephoto look for a zoom lens that is longer then 55mm. Its really what do you like to shoot.

When I owned a Nikon DSLR, I had a very nice 60mm macro lens. I believe they offers a 100mm macro lens as well (I forget at this point). See what's available for Sony.

I believe sony uses A-Mount so look for those.

Also start poking around in dpreview.com, they review lenses have forums dedicated to various camera models. You'll see what other Sony camera owners say are good lenses

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

considering you want more reach, and macro capabilities. I would suggest a 100mm macro lens. These often come with rather wide apertures like f/2.8 which would also be an improvement over your kit-lens.

like this Sony 100mm f/2.8 Macro

6. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

If you can afford good lenses, go with what the guys above have said (especially the 50 1.4), however if you're budget's tight, don't forget you can use the Konica Minolta A-Mount range!

I would highly recommend the Minolta AF 28-135 F4-4.5 (get it off ebay & has goodish macro capabilities)
    If you want more reach, the Minolta AF 70-210 F4 (get it off ebay)

For flashguns I can recommend the Nissin Digital Di866 Mark II, however you may be able to get the Sony F42AM for cheaper if you really hunt!

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I recommend this lens whenever someone asks about an α mount camera.
    Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70 f/2.8 ZA SSM

Not quite the widest, but it's super fast and sharp. I have the Canon equivalent, the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, which is one of the most popular Canon lenses ever made, and it's amazing. I do not miss the wide angle of the 18-55mm kit at all. And the f/2.8 aperture is really useful as it lets in 4x the light at the telephoto end than your old kit, which means you can set your shutter speed to 4x as fast!