Lens Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by h1r0ll3r, May 21, 2011.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have an Canon T3i with the 18-55 kit lens and I am looking to get another lens for some zoom shots. I'm looking at these two lenses but not sure which would be best suited for my skill (I'm a n00b) level as well as the type of shots I'm looking to take.

Canon - 55-250mm f/4-5.6
    Canon - 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

I usually take landscape/architecture shots however I do like taking action/sports shots as well. I've chatted with a few folks already as well as read some reviews and it's pretty evenly divided between the two. I like the 55-250 since it has image stabilization. The 75-300 has a little longer range but, without IS, quite a few reviews noted that long range shots would be blurry as a result.

It's only a $50 between the two so price isn't an issue. I'd just like to get a nice beginner zoom lens that will help me take some nicer shots.

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would go with the 55-250 - it has image stabilization which will help at longer focal lengths. Add to that you might find yourself switching less with the 20mm focal length difference.

3. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I had a 55 250 and loved it, upgraded to a 70 200 f4 IS in the end tho.

If you can stretch a little you should maybe look at the 70 200 f4 (the non is version). Or of you can stretch a lot the IS version or the 70 200 f2.8's

I have never used the other lens you mentioned, so can comment on that but the 55 250 is a great lens for the money. I find the IS at these lengths invaluable, but that 70 200f4l is a great piece of glass and i think one of the cheapest L lenses.

Welcome to the great lens buying conundrums!