Lens Suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dukey, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Dukey, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

Dukey macrumors member

Hey there,

So I decided not to get a 5D Mark II and decided to invest in some lens. After searching this entire forum and doing a bit of my own research I think I'd like to invest in some wide angle lenses and/or a general all around good Zoom.

I'm looking for a Wide angle Lens. I use a 28-135mm but I find the 28mm not to be wide enough for certain situations. Looking to get one or two of these:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    Canon - 20mm f/2.8
    Tokina - 11-16mm f/2.8 (almost a prime)
    (I like the idea of a prime because of it's sharpness and wide aperture but open to other suggestions and recommendations)

And as far as the All around good Zoom Lens:
    Canon- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
    Tamron - 17-50mm f/2.8 II
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8

I was wondering if you guys had any experience with these lens and/or could recommend others around what I'm looking for.

I currently own a Canon 50D body along w/
    canon ef 28-135mm f/3.5-5.0 (might get rid of this as I find it to be really soft focus)
    canon 50mm f/1.8 (love it but not wide enough)
    Tamron 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (Don't really use, not so great out side of sunny areas)

I don't really have a huge budget but I am willing to invest on what's necessary to keep me going for a while.
    Thanks guys for the help!

2. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Wide Angle Prime:

Samyang 14 f/2.8 (manual focus, but at 14mm, everything is in focus anyway)

** - Not sure why you'd consider the Sigma 30 f/1.4 if you don't find 28mm to be wide enough.

Standard Zoom:

17-55 f/2.8 IS
    17-40 f/4L

** - I think you'll find the 24-70 is not wide enough on a 50D. In fact, when I used a 1.6x crop body, I found the 24-70 to be a very awkward lens.

Full Disclosure: I'm selling my 17-40L, if you're interested. When I had my 10D, it was an incredible walk-around zoom. Virtually everything I shot for the two years I had the 10D was with the 17-40. It just doesn't see a lot of action on my 5D2 or 1D2.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Dukey - you need to do your research on this... some of the lenses you're looking at are EF-S, which are not compatible with Canon Full Frame cameras like the 5DII.

Personally I own a 5DII, and use my 24-70 f2.8 about 90% of the time. I find this wide enough for general use.

I also own a 17-40 f4 (which I originally bought to partner my 20D). This is great on the 5DII for the occasional shot, although I find it a bit wide (and slow) to use as a general walk around lens. It's good and sharp though, and it's definitely a lens I'll keep hold of for wide angle stuff.

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 isn't meant to be wide angle. I've got one for my 550D, and with the 1.6x crop factor, it becomes a normal lens. Even 28mm is still around a 45mm equivalent. For an actual wide angle, you'll need to go below 18mm. The only one you mentioned that's specifically wide-angle is the 11-16mm. While 11-16mm may seem like barely any zoom, when you get that wide, each millimeter makes a difference.

These lenses are being purchased instead of a 5D though, so EF-S shouldn't matter.

5. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

I would get a 17-50mm f2.8 or there abouts as a standard lens and see how you feel about the 17mm end. If you want to explore ultra-wide then go for something that goes down to around 10 or 11mm. These need an acquired technique to get the best out of them but can be very effective.

Both the Canon and Tamron f2.8 zooms have their fans, it's really up to you and how much you want to spend.

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes, I should try reading the question! ;) :eek: