Leo Family Pack Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikelong622, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Ok, so this isn't about the legalities of using a family pack for me and all my roomies, this is just a question of can I make copies of the installer CD's? Is it possible to copy the OSX DVD's so that we all have a copy in case we need to re install ever?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, that should not be a problem. It's not protected in the sense of any kind of copy protection or encryption on the disk. You can use Disk Utility, Toast, Burn, or a number of other programs to do it. In Disk Utility, you just put it in, select the option to make an image of it from the menus, and then burn that image back to another DVD (it is a DVD and not a CD; I'm not sure if it's dual layer or single layer, but you'll need a DVD with enough capacity to hold it).

3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

It should be possible; I would think that you could make a disk image of the install CD and then burn that image to a few dual-layered discs so that everyone would have a copy.
    -Chasen

P.S.: Don't mention something that you don't want talked about!

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its a Dual Layer DVD so you need to burn it as DVD-9. Not all burning programs can handle it.

5. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

there was another thread around here about backing up a family license dvd of leopard...I can't seem to find it though.
    anyways, apparently sometimes when copying the dvd via disk utility you can't see the bootcamp driver cd under xp (someone here did the following: copy the dvd under os x and create a backup under xp separately to end up with a leopard install dvd and a bootcamp driver cd.)