Leo Misinformed on audible.com

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodaxl7, Jul 11, 2010.

1. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I first heard Leo talked about the app for audible.com on one of his shows. He claimed that apple's iphone won't get one. Plus, the one he had on his Nexus One was a beta. Over time, every time I hear his commercial for audible.com, he kept saying android is one up against apple with an app for Android not the ios. Someone pointed out today on his twit show that the app just came out on the iphone. He was shocked. Has Leo become anti-apple??

2. mhdena macrumors 6502

I don't think he's anti anything, he just recognizes there are other good offerings besides iphone. The Droid platform is real and as another poster here said when there is real competition the consumers win.

BTW Leo said he's probably going to make the iphone his main phone because of the excellent camera.

As for me a excellent camera is nice, but I would prefer an excellent phone with excellent bluetooth capability and a good camera.

3. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I don't think he's anti-Apple. I think he was just surprised because he assumed Apple would not allow an Audible app which would seem to duplicate (at least in part) the iTunes app. After they approved Opera, though, I don't think he should have been surprised.
    Also, isn't the available Audible library only what you have purchased directly from Audible.com? Not what you buy from iTunes?

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Anti-Apple? Based on what the MBP, iPad, and iMac on his desk? Is he critical of Apple at times, of course. Is that criticism misguided or misinformed, sure. He is human. He can't know all information at all times, and often its just part of his schtick to fire up the conversation. But if you are looking for an anti-Apple pundit there are plenty that revel in that title. Laporte is not one of those.

5. California King macrumors 65816

He seems to like to stick to 1 side or the other. Did you hear his take on Facebook? He almost praises Google Buzz as an alternative to Facebook.

6. NightStorm macrumors 68000

7. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Sometimes Leo's misinformation really bugs me, but you have to realize that he works HARD. He spends hours and hours every day doing tech stuff, and has to work on managing people on his show and sometimes even running the cameras. He doesn't always have time to REALLY read a story or keep up on all the latest news. As a result, he is sometimes behind the curve.

Most of the time, either the chat room or the other hosts correct him and no harm, no foul. If you like what Leo is doing for podcasting, and maybe even for the future of broadcasting, just cut him some slack.

8. Octane19 macrumors member

Yeah, sometimes Leo is a little off but he has a tremendous wealth of knowledge and he's a great talk show host. His podcast is great and always entertaining. I used to love "Call for Help" on TechTv, so much better than the garbage on G4 now. Honestly when did "Cops" become tech?

9. ventro macrumors 6502a

Leo knows more about the tech industry than most of us will ever know about anything.

10. yodaxl7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The funny thing though, on audible.com site in the software section, it has advertised that its app will come soon for the iphone, ipod, and android for months now. I don't see how he did not noticed that. I wonder if it is true that Eric Schimdt is telling the truth about 160,000 android phones being activated daily?

11. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Leo Laporte is an idiot that people put faith in. All you have to do is listen to him and anybody with a half a brain can tell he's just a mouth spewing babble constantly.

Why do you think he's a host of TWiT? Because the show itself sucks and people only tune in to see the guests... same thing with Larry King and most any other "talk show host" of any kind. People don't watch Oprah for Oprah, they want to see what the guests have going on...

I used to watch TechTV from time to time long ago when it existed, and when "The Screensavers" first started I was constantly calling in to let them know that whatever Leo had just said was wrong and here's the correct answer (hoping they'd correct him and have him provide the info on air).

Fat chance of that. He screwed up so much I swear, it's amazing the show lasted as long as it did, honestly, even after he was gone.

People just need to avoid the guy, really... but they keep going back for more.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Gosh, I can't imagine why they didn't like you.

:rolleyes:

13. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Doesn't matter if people like me or not when what I'm was trying to point out was him basically providing inaccurate and incorrect data, sometimes in situations where it could cause problems for people implementing what he suggested.

And they did, and it did cause problems when the next day they'd report they have thousands of emails that came in after the previous show saying exactly what I was trying to tell them.

Anyway...