Leo PERFORM better than Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pigumon, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

What I mean is, we all felt the performance drop when we went from Panther to Tiger, there was just a lot of new stuff that took its toll on all but the fastest processors.

So with Leopard have 300+ new features, has this made the overall OS run even slower? I've heard Leopard has improved performance, but I'd like to hear it from people who've used it and can answer HONESTLY, no Apple Can Do No Wrongers, and certainly not if you're still "high" from all the new features.

Feel free to wait until next week to answer if you can be more honest then! :D

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I think my Mac Pro is performing better, however it could just be down to a fresh install etc, and I don't have any real proof to back it up.

3. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

hey im typing on a macbook right now with 2gb of ram and it is faster i upgraded and it worked faster but because of compatibility problems and i did a clean install it runs smoothly :D enjoy leopard lol

4. unsanity macrumors newbie

As a whole the system seems to definitely be running at least at the same speed it was in Tiger, if not faster. Programs like Safari and other Apple apps seem to be very snappy, however other programs like word or photoshop seem to be a bit slower than they used to be, not horribly but it is noticeable.

Overall I'm definitely pleased with my computer's performance thus far.

5. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Is this true? I've always heard Tiger runs better than Panther.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Graphic drivers seem a bit slower

Leopard feels a little bit slower on an ATI X1900 G5 and MBP C2D ATI 128MB.

I notice lower frame rates on iTunes original Visualizer on the quad G5, but they are often around 60fps, so perhaps there is a 'cap' in there now. 100fps was hit often in Tiger. Eyes can't tell the difference though.

I notice chunkier performance on Google Earth on the MacBook Pro, HOWEVER, it no longer seems to crash in this app! I had been getting hard lock ups very very often when in this app in 10.4.10. If iTunes is set to Jelly, Google Earth really kills the performance, but Original can run at full speed, as long as OpenGL is not used.

I have also observed what appears to be a slight lag on Expose and those things as others have noted.

I think with a little improvement to the drivers, it will be just as fast as Tiger. However, it is also possible these things are caused by the new scheduler, and won't change. The new scheduler definitely keep threads from hopping around; you can see the difference in the gauges on Activity Monitor.

I can't comment on most other factors, because I am running on an external hard drive until I know what all the problems are. I wish dock magnification was more pronounced.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Leopard is definately faster on my new iMac.

I did a clean install of Tiger when I recieved the iMac three weeks ago, and then did a clean install of Leopard last week. So it's not like my system was 'cluttered up' or whatever - two clean installs in two weeks and Leopard is definately the winner in terms of speed. Expose was smooth on both but Dashboard is a little smoother in Leopard, as is opening apps (Firefox, Mail, Lightroom, etc)

8. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

????

I felt no such thing with 10.4.

But to answer the main point I so far have noticed a speeder system. Safari is able to run a lot better now and everything is just zipping along, on both my Mac Pro and MBP.

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Nope, I upgraded quite a number of machines and the ONLY one that felt slower was an elderly Blue/White G3 that barely made the minimum system specs. Overall, performance of Panther & Tiger were similar. The same goes for Leopard. Machines close to the minimum system spec - especially if they only have 512mb RAM do tend to feel slower. Anything faster than the bare minimum and you should find that overall performance is very much in line with Tiger - some things may feel a little slower, but others will feel faster.

11. Ariez macrumors regular

I cant see a difference on my 2.33ghz MBP. To people saying it runs faster, it probably just the clean install.

12. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I feel like most things are faster or just as fast. Programs jump- no delay whatsoever for the most part.

I'm running a MacBook with 2.0 Core Duo + 2GB .

I just did an update. No clean install

13. Kinkade macrumors member

My iMac is most certainly faster. All my programs start much faster, and perform flawlessly. All of the new features work just as I expect, with no faulty graphics or bugs.

In fact I have noticed a considerably drop in my CPU usage since tiger. I am really surprised my computer is running faster while using less power. What took 15% before now takes like 5.

I do have an almost brand new iMac, so my results may not be the same for someone with an older PPC. Safari is also much snappier.:)

14. milo macrumors 604

Most of my apps seem faster, especially system stuff, but Logic Pro runs much slower, at least on PPC.

I disagree that 10.3 to 10.4 caused a slowdown, it ran consistently better for me.

15. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

That's the opposite from what I always heard. I mean, do a search...just about everyone says that new version of the OS are FASTER than the proceeding one. From Jaguar to Panther to Tiger.

16. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

is noticeably faster on of iMac 2.0Ghz 2GB of ram. boot is under 30 seconds and apps open faster.

17. -Alan- macrumors member

Boot up is definitely faster on my MacPro. Before Leopard I would wait a little while to let the machine load everything. Otherwise, if I launched a program once the desktop came alive, the app would sit there and bounce on the dock for a while. Now with Leopard it's up and running quickly.

It even goes in and out of sleep faster.

18. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

You mean the performance increase. All versions of OS X have gotten faster, Tiger included, unless maybe you don't have enough RAM.

--Eric

19. projectle macrumors 6502

I definitely have to say that I got a MAJOR speed increase on my Mac Pro Oct-Core.

Although, this seems more like an issue with Tiger that Apple had not yet gotten around to fixing.

Either way, the machine shipped with 10.4.10 so they have not yet had a chance to do any real bug fixes for it for Tiger.

20. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I agree, Tiger ran faster on my 12" powerbook than 10.3.

Leopard runs at least as fast as Tiger, if not a bit faster (but most likely do to the clean install and more free disk space).

21. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

its running great on my 1.42 ibook. i have a gig of ram. mail wouldn't open with out crashing on me for about the first 20 minutes. i didn't see that spotlight was runnning it's index. i let it finish and things really sped up. cover flow works well and is smooth. spaces is the same.

10.4.10 was the worst update for my ibook. it really slowed things down. I had a program crash on me at least once a day.

I installed leopard on my dual 1.8 G5 last night and had problems. it wouldn't load my profile all the way. the dock would come up but the bar at the top was clear. and my icons on the desktop were missing. after about 5 restarts i managed to reach the disk utility and did a repair permissions. everything ran fine after that.

There are a few bugs but its a brand new OS. I did a upgrade from tiger on both machines. i heard of other people having problems as well. but haven't heard anything from people who did a clean install.

22. Joe323 macrumors newbie

I feel like Leopard is a little slower when opening folders in finder but I'm not sure. I did an upgrade though so I'm not sure if this is the reason why. Should I do a fresh re-install and if so, what's the best way to go about backing up my docs, media, and applications?

23. Pigumon thread starter macrumors 6502

Pigumon

Thanks so far...

I appreciate everyone's responses.

It's kind of funny/sad how people don't read through the other responses though.
    Almost everyone who said I'm wrong about the performance DECREASE from 10.3 to 10.4 and said it's always an increase need to read the posts here. Half the people noticed the speed DECREASE.

Certainly you need to be a good enough degree above spec in order to handle all the new system additions including fancier graphics 'n stuff.

Also, as others have mentioned, I should have asked what type of upgrade you performed. I'm basically talking about regular upgrades, not clean installs (which are usually faster just because you're getting rid of so much added garbage over the months/years).

I have a PB G4 12" and it was a bit slower after an upgrade to 10.4
    A clean install later (after 10.4.9 crashed my mac =( ) seemed to speed things up.

A neighbor who had bought the iMac just before Tiger came out (so still had panther) upgraded and complained to me how much slower their computer was. So in my experience even a new machine took a hit with the Tiger upgrade.

In theory every new system is better than the previous, but in practice....

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I live in Safari, it definitely feels more solid in Leopard...so IMO Leopard performs better...

25. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

This intrigues me. Panther was so long ago that I'm not sure which is faster. I was merely asking. Maybe I'll bring out the old restore disk and install Panther again. I recently did a clean install of Tiger so I should be able to tell the difference. I wonder if Panther being faster will be worth losing Tiger features until/if I get Leopard...