Leopard 10.5.1 upgrade disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by volsav, Oct 5, 2008.

1. volsav macrumors newbie

I purchased a MBP in 11/07. It has OS X 10.4.11. I was eligible to purchase a Leopard 10.5.1 upgrade disk and did so. Today, 10/5/07, I finally got around to attempting to use the disk. After choosing a language, I receive a message that my computer needs to have 10.4.x or higher for 10.5.1 to be installed and my computer does not have this operating system. Does anyone know what is happening?

2. WarMachine macrumors member

WarMachine

Try the usual, repair permissions and try again.

3. volsav thread starter macrumors newbie

Leopard 10.5.1 Upgrade disk

I repaired the permissions just prior to attempting the upgrade installation. I tried 4 times with the same result. Any other ideas out there?

4. WarMachine macrumors member

WarMachine

Does it still let you continue with the installation or does it stall everything as soon as that message comes up? Because if you can still continue, you could instead do an Archive and Install which will install Leopard and replace Tiger without affecting your files.

5. volsav thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for asking. The installation stalls as soon as the message comes up. I am asked to restart. The restart window gives me the option of the upgrade dvd or a network drive as a start up disk. The HD on my computer is not recogized. I have to select the upgrade dvd and hold down the option key. (I am lucky to know this technique.) This allows me to select my HD as the start up drive.

6. WarMachine macrumors member

WarMachine

Maybe that's the problem, the Leopard install disc isn't seeing your drive and then assumes that you simply don't have a version of Tiger installed. Open Disk Utility and try a Verify Disk. If possible, try to do this from the Tiger install disc and repair permissions from there as well.

7. volsav thread starter macrumors newbie

I will use my Tiger dvd disk utility, verify the disk and repair the permissions (again) and try the Leopard dvd again. I will post my results.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sounds like the OP accidentally chose the erase option upon the install. Once you choose the erase and install option but then hit the "Back" button the upgrade disk re-checks the HDD for the Tiger installation, it no longer sees it and then posts the message about Tiger needing to be installed. This is generally the only reason that message appears. Just my 2 cents.

9. volsav thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the OP?
    I never got to Erase and Install.

10. volsav thread starter macrumors newbie

Repaired permissions, repaired disk on the volume and the volume partition two times each. Leopard OS X upgrade disk now sees my hd and 10.4.11 operating system. It doesn't make sense, but it worked.

11. p.luik macrumors regular

The OP is you, the thread starter or Original Poster.

12. WarMachine macrumors member

WarMachine