Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
After upgrading to 10.5.2, I have found that it is impossible to launch iSync, from either the dock or the Applications folder. iSync will do one bounce on the dock, and no more, then disappear.

1. I have repaired permissions by booting up with the Leopard disc.
  2. I have created another account and logged into that account.

Here's where it gets interesting. Only users without my account name can run iSync! I can create as many permutations of users, and they can all run the application, but as soon as a user has MY name as an account name, I can't launch iSync!

How bizarre!!! iSync refuses to launch on any account with my name What the heck?! Does it know me by name?
Any thoughts? I'm completely miffed and searched this board, not finding a whole lot. Some people seem to have experienced the same issue with iCal as well, though.

I have a Macbook 2.0 CD2. I am running standard Mac OS X 10.5 + iLife '08 + iWork '08.

kalabog

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
I had the same problem. Macbook
The only way to open isync is launch it from terminal open -a /Applications/iSync.app/Contents/MacOS/iSync.

Very bizzare.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
An update and more importantly, a solution!: Simply move iSync from your Applications folder to your desktop, and then move it back.

Must be some permissions error that Repairing Permissions misses.

mavcunha

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
worked for me

An update and more importantly, a solution!: Simply move iSync from your Applications folder to your desktop, and then move it back.

Must be some permissions error that Repairing Permissions misses.

Thanks, now iSync is working again.

kilderry1944

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Tried it, same result, didnt work. Still getting the same message,
"iSync Can't be launched:
Sync Services: Cant connect to the sync server: NSPort Timeout Exception: Connection timeout: did not receive reply (null)"

Dual 2GHz PPC G5 7GB Mem. OS 10.5.8

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Tried it, same result, didnt work. Still getting the same message,
"iSync Can't be launched:
Sync Services: Cant connect to the sync server: NSPort Timeout Exception: Connection timeout: did not receive reply (null)"

we all know your kidding.

if your still running 10.5.2, welcome back from your 1 1/2 year hibernation and go to :apple: > Software Update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.