Leopard 10.5.3 HANGS for no reasons?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SpaceJello, Jun 15, 2008.

1. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

What is going on here? Is it with 10.5.3?

I have never had problems on my mbp until after the update, it hangs randomly by itself, never knowing what or why the reason is. You can still see everything on the monitor/screen but the mouse and keyboards are not functional. I tried resenting pram, and smc stuff, nothing helps?

Anyone else have similar problems or solutions?
    Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would answer, but my keyboard and trackpad are hung ;)

Seriously, no problems here with 10.5.3

What programs are you running when this happens?
    Any 3rd party hacks on your machine?

Any additional info would be helpful

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

hahahah

No 3rd party hacks at all. And CPU load isn't even near 100% (istats menu). Even temperature are under 70 Celsius. Could heat be a problem? The times it hang was pretty random...multiple tasking, a few times it did happen was with transmission.

Should I do a hardware diagnosis?

I sure hope its not the logic board. It was doing fine before I reinstalled leopard and went 10.5.3...

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Since there is a known hang in 10.5.3, I wouldn't be too concerned unless your warranty expires soon. 10.5.4 will fix the known bug, so if the problem continues in 10.5.4, you've got a problem of your own.

5. jwayneC macrumors newbie

jwayneC

Leopard 10.5.3 HANGS for no reasons?!

I came across a similar issue on one of my clients. Some applications that works with Font manager are affected with this update,for instance Adobe In Design CS3 or Illustrator CS3 Fixes a font issue that could result in Helvetica Narrow being used in this applications instead of Helvetica. This is common issue due to the application enhancer bundle,after upgrading to Leopard, users experienced a blue screen that hangs on and takes quite time to load up the Desktop.
    Solution: Install Onyx on your machine and run Cleaning/System.

6. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

I only noticed Firefox issues on 10.5.3

I just moved to Leopard 10.5.3 on four (4) of my macs from Tiger (clean install). I did not experienced any issues with any application including Logic, FCE, Adobe CS3 Suite and etc.

But I noticed, that after firefox is installed and run for the first time: Safari may lock after that and mac would not be able to reboot on its own. After forced reboot it will not experience any issue, until other user will run firefox for the first time. It only happens after 10.5.3, on 10.5.1 firefox was issue free, so firefox is not a happy camper for now. On the last mac i did not load firefox - and it had zero issues.

Hopefully, mozilla will fix firefox, otherwise :-( one more peep out of it and it will be kicked off from my systems.

Good Luck...

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Firefox 3.0 RC3 is already fixed. I don't know if they are going to release a fix for Firefox 2; I don't even know if 2 is affected.

8. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

I don't use firefox, so that was not the cause. Perhaps, it was CS3 etc. However, since this was a fresh install that was having problems (I had my old drive cloned on a separate drive and it turns out that was 10.5.3 as well and never experienced any problems). I am systematically doing a new install to find the culprit.

I don't think its a hardware problem at all, it gotta be some program incompatibility.... I just have to find what it is.

Thanks again!