Leopard 10.5.6 update killed my Rev 35 drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daveox, Dec 22, 2008.

1. daveox macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any issue with their external Iomega Rev 35 drives not working after the 10.5.6 update? I did the update correctly and then a couple days later did my normal weekly backup across firewire to the Rev drive - done this for a year. But this time after transferring it went dumb and wouldn't eject. Here's the chain of events:

1. I successfully updated my MacBook Pro to 10.5.6 from 10.5.5.
    2. Two days later I connected my firewire Rev35 to my Mac to transfer some files as I do weekly.
    3. After successfully transferring the files the drive would not eject the disk using the button or the menu eject. And the drive's activity light/button was now slowly blinking.
    4. Consulted the help files and they said a slow blinking light meant the drive needed to be reset, and that was accomplished by unplugging from power and plugging back in.
    5. I unplugged and plugged back in using both firewire power and wall power - no change.
    6. Then I pulled out my USB Rev 35 I have and plugged it into the Mac and transferred the files to a different disk.
    7. After transferring the files that drive did the EXACT SAME THING.

Since these external drives appear as a CD/DVD (I think) perhaps it's a problem with ending the write session or something like that.

Anyone know? Thanks in advance...

Dave.

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Didn't 10.5.6 have some kind of affect on jailbreaking iPhones/iPod Touches, could these 2 things be related in any way?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think MasterNile's got a point. I suspect some sort of driver-level change that partially broke compatibility with the REV drives. If that's the case, then checking Iomega's site for an update is the solution.

4. daveox thread starter macrumors newbie

Already been talking on the Iomega forum and no one seems to have an answer yet. The weird thing is the drive *should* be able to be reset with a power cycle, but that doesn't work. It's almost like it needs to be flashed bare and new firmware installed, but the firmware software (PC only) is not working - just sits there with no status bar.

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Perhaps let Apple know about the problem, cause I'm worried that even if you do manage to fix it the same thing may happen again when you try to transfer files next time.

6. daveox thread starter macrumors newbie

Already talked to an Apple Expert (pleasant girl named Allison) and they said they had not heard of any issues like this and have no fix. She said if they found it to be an issue on their end that it would get fixed in the next update.

I think I am out of luck...

7. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Yeah I don't know what else to tell you, see if you can get it fixed and let us know if it happens again, and if it does call Apple again and somehow try to suggest that it's related to the jailbreaking problem cause as of now I think the 2 problems are related.

8. daveox thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. Will do.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Cheers.