Leopard 10.5 on PPC G4 Powerbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 10th Wonder, Sep 9, 2007.

1. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

Just as the title say's would I be able to upgrade to Leopard when it comes out? I was wondering this because I would like to have it on my G4 PB when it comes out in October. I hope Apple Inc., doesn't screw me and force me to upgrade to their intel macs anytime soon. But I do plan to upgrade to a iMac next year I hope to do that soon. I already have a 64 bit processor which core64 is running on 10.5. I think i would have to bump up my ram to 1.25gb instead of 768mb of ram. Any help on system requirements for Leopard would be great.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Leopard supports G4 and up, so you can run it on your powerbook. You may not be able to run all the features, but it is supported.

3. 10th Wonder thread starter macrumors regular

Would you have any idea which features I would not be able to run on my computer? I just hope the main ones are at least able to work. I know bootcamp will not work at all and photobooth is a no go too. Or unless somehow they figure how to run windows on a PPC g4 format with bootcamp? I hope these will work on my computer Quick Look, Time Machine, Spaces, Widget maker, 64-bit, Core Animation and that's all i can think of.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

64-bit won't happen as the G4 isn't a 64-bit processor.

I think everything else will be supported.

Bootcamp is a no and Photobooth may work with a 3rd party webcam

5. 10th Wonder thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, i thought it was a 64 bit processor? Because I remember that the 32bit iBooks didn't have the ripples as new widgets was installed or opened. Maybe I am getting some things confused with processor and GPU's then. Well, frankly I don't give a crap about bootcamp since i been with OSX since 04 of july or earlier. Well if everything will work then I am a happy camper until I score me that D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S iMac!

But what does 64-Bit do for the newer Intel/Macs? Like how does it help that system to process things faster than a 32 bit cpu? Another thing would it be wise to boost my ram from 768mb to 1.25gb? I know I am not hitting speeds like the new macs are with their special 2-4gb of ram.

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

1. I think the only 64-Bit PPC machines are the G5 iMac/Powermac. Not 100% sure.

2. Yeah you are confusing the two. The rippling effect from dashboard is all about the GPU. My old iBook (32MB Video) never had the ripples, but the PB (64MB) did.

3. 64-Bit runs apps faster as in you are able to encode filters and etc much faster. But that's about it. Helps out in video and image manipulation apps like Final Cut and Photoshop.

4. It's always a good idea to boost RAM, especially with Leopard. It's going to be pretty graphic intensive.

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Photobooth also works on G4's with an iSight and Tiger.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I ran the beta (previous version) on my PowerBook G4 (1GHz 17", 1GB RAM) at work because I wanted to test it, and it was going to be reimaged anyway. Just wanted to see how it would run. Worked fine, same speed as Tiger. Core Image effects like the ripple in Dashboard still didn't work because of the video card, same as Tiger, but everything else was fine.

9. 10th Wonder thread starter macrumors regular

I really appreciate this guys! All I would need is ram with a 20inch display along with a wireless Mighty Mouse and thier new wireless keyboard. If i took this to the applenova forums(Think Secret) they would just pick on me just because I've asked a question like this. That place is soo annoying on there, b/c they are thinking that their all high and mighty

10. bartelby macrumors Core

I think I'm right in saying if the graphics card supports Core Image it will support Core Animation.
    Or am I being too hopeful...

11. 10th Wonder thread starter macrumors regular

Let's hope your right then!:D Beside my graphics card is this right here. I hope my graphic chipset will be able to support Core Image and Animation. I just want most of 10.5 stuff to work properly on my g4.

Chipset Model: GeForce FX Go5200
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB
    Vendor: nVIDIA

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Though not great, it should work fine.

13. 10th Wonder thread starter macrumors regular

Though not great, eh? I kinda figure that would be the case, I hope it will work with little or less no slowdown then.:eek: