Leopard 10.6.6 To HP DV6 Pavilion Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rlnplehshalo, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Rlnplehshalo, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

I am going to purchase a HP Pavilion DV6 notebook very soon for the obvious reasons of more power, ram, graphics, blu ray etc. compared to my iMac.
    I plan to set up a dual boot configuration with the already installed "windows 7 Home Premium".
    my iMac came with a Leopard 10.5 installation disc and I have since purchased the 10.6 "Snow Leopard DVD".

I want to completely copy over my iMac's hard drive (Installed apps, files, programs, games, configuration etc.) over to the 1TB notebook's hard drive using an external Hard drive.
    Is there some way that I can make an image on my iMac's hard drive to the external hard drive so I could do a "Restore from backup" process when I go to install Leopard on my notebook?
    (What I mean is that when I go to restore I will have the exact same configuration on my notebook as I do on my iMac, so I won't have to go through the painful process of installing all of my applications.)

I'm pretty sure when I was installing leopard for the first time it gave me the option to restore from another mac backup, but I have no idea on how to actually make a back up file.
    I'm not entirely sure how to dual boot with a windows computer but I'll look into that later with video tutorials etc. I am also curious if anyone here knows of some way similar to "Bootcamp" on the mac side but for windows?
    Any help would be vastly appreciated, thanks in advance.

RLNplehshalo

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You want to convert your HP into a Hackintosh. This forum has areas devoted to Hackintoshes. However, this is not one of them. It is a simple task to find the Hackintosh area. Having said that, your mileage on this site will be poor. A Google search on Hackintosh should locate a more helpful site(s).

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

+1

Take a look at http://www.insanelymac.com/

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out insanelymac.com to see if that laptop is compatible to OSX. There are a lot of machines that simply cannot run OSX, there are others that require significant amount of work, and others that easily convert to a hackintosh.

None can be done by simply cloning your mac hard drive onto a PC. For one thing, PCs use bios, Macs use EFI. Other hardware differences impact the amount of work

5. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Thankyou for your helpful responses, I will have a look at the site mentioned. Hopefully it's capable;) Sorry about the thread not being where it should be:/