Leopard 64bit ONLY? What about 32bit computers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wako, Jun 14, 2007.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Im really confused about the keynote. Steve said that Leopard is built from the ground up as a 64bit operating system and that it only comes in one flavor, 64bit.

So, what will become of all the PowerPC macs? All those people who bought Powerbooks 2 years ago, the people who bought the first generation Intel macs that were Core Duos will be LEFT OUT?

If this is true, they just did a terrible move because Leopard will bound to fail immediately as nobody will buy it since most people wont be able to handle it...

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/12/fret-not-64-bit-leopard-will-still-work-with-your-machine/

3. 66217 Guest

It would work. Don't worry. The difference is that some apps would be faster in a 64-bit Mac.

If I am not mistaken, the MB Core Duo is 32-bit isn't it?

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

It'll continue to run 32 bit apps on 32 bit processors natively. There's no way Apple would lock out such a huge part of its customer base.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think everything lower than Core2Duo's are 32-bit. At least that's the impression I got from the engadget article.

6. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

oh thank god...

As a daily Engadget reading, i cant believe i didnt see that article. :eek:

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

[​IMG]

You'll be fine.

32-bit
    - G3
    - G4
    - Core Duo

64-bit
    - G5
    - Core 2 Duo
    - Xeon

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The G5 is the major exception. At least, it has been reported in the past, based on Leopard previews, that it would allow 64-bit on G5. 64-bit is certainly at least possible in the non-GUI / Darwin / whatever environment on G5 now.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm not sure why G5 woud be left to rot using Tiger. Seeing how they are 64bit chips

10. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

It will be probably like this:
    10.5: G3 support gone, runs on 32-bit and 64-bit macs
    10.6: G4 support gone, runs on 64-bit (G5 included) and intel 32-bit macs
    10.7-10.9: 32 bit macs support gone, G5 still supported and runs only on all 64-bit macs
    OS XI: Works only on Intel macs, PPC not supported

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

And here I thought that people would have learnt with the release of 10.4.10 that the "." is not a decimal point.

Why do you think that OS XI is coming after 10.9? It could come after 10.6 or 10.23. Apple is in no way limited by this numeric system to make an OS XI at any point in time. :eek:

12. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Don't let that wench from ZDNet fool you, Leopard will work fine on 32 bit Macs.

And as RacerX pointed out, there won't necessarily be builds of OS X going up to 10.9, then the leap to OS 11 (which I assume will be powered by magic). I think we'll get 2 more incremental upgrades of OS X (Lynx and Cougar) before we all start saying "This OS goes to 11!"

13. liquidsgi macrumors newbie

64 bit apps tweaked to work better

It looks like Apple is really trying to get the jump on Microsoft on getting the 64bit boost that the OS can offer. Microsoft has been slow to roll this out (or been unable to roll out). What I am wondering tho is bootcamp-- will we be only able to install the 64 bit version of XP or Vista?