Leopard acting funny

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evan g, Feb 10, 2008.

1. evan g macrumors regular

When we first got our new intel iMac, it came with OS 10.4.9. Then we got a letter to update it to OS 10.5 for only $10 since our computer came out so close to the release date of it. So when I finally got it installed, it needed me to enter in my password and stuff. I would do that and it would go blue, then loop back and ask me to put in my password again. After entering it in multiple times, we finally called IT and overrode the loop by pressing some buttons, but then once we got back on, more and more problems occured.

The shift button would supposedly stick, after i had already pressed it, so the shift button acted as a caps lock button. The mouse would also right click sometimes when you were clearly clicking left click(after i installed the leopard update it hasn't done that since, but everything else in this paragraph continued). And on top of that the internet (hardline) would just crash at one point for no reason, and i have to restart the computer and the modem. And thats not all. For a while we had paint, free from apple, and the whole computer would freeze up. it did that with other random apps for no reason every week or so.

am i the only one experiencing these problems? I dont remember 10.4 doing any of this. is it leopard? Will 10.5.2 help some, or hopefully, all of these?

2. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

3. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, but some of these still crash on me like the internet.

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

How about weird third party extensions and such that might have been installed under Tiger that weren't removed pre-upgrade? Those have been known the cause problems.

Generally with these wide ranging problems, I'd say back up your home folder and do a clean install of Leopard from scratch. Do all the system updates, and then you should be good.

5. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

ok. so let me get this straight. i'm the only one with this problem?

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You need to do a re-install of Leopard. Something went wrong when Leopard was installing, which is why you're having these problems.

It's not a specific problem as such which others would also have - it's one of those 'something's broken and now this is happening' things which could manifest itself in a huge number of ways.

7. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

ok now i need to find that dang cd dvd whatever. its around here somewhere...