Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Hey guys, i dunno if it is just me or my computer but it seems like tiger ran much faster on my computer. Just the little things seems slower like opening a new firefox window via command N. it takes about 3 seconds for google to open. Before on Tiger it was immediate. O yea.. i am running with 2 gb of ram if you guys were wondering. Something else i noticed, when im watching a streaming video, i can't toggle to other windows via command ~. no idea why... is it just me guys?

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
What kind of computer is it? Intel? PPC? Speed? Also try repairing permissions and/or running maintenance scripts if you tend to turn off your computer at night. Check out OnyX or Cocktail to run those scripts.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
What kind of computer is it? Intel? PPC? Speed? Also try repairing permissions and/or running maintenance scripts if you tend to turn off your computer at night. Check out OnyX or Cocktail to run those scripts.

its a macbook. intel. permissions are taken care of already. i have macaroni installed and it does that everyday by itself.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
What about when you open up Safari? Does it seem slow or does it pretty much pop up instantly? It could be just Firefox. Firefox isn't the best browser when it comes to OS X integration. Camino is much better in terms of speed.

Also about the video streaming issue, what are you running and in what app? Is this in full screen? If not, can you use "command-~" in windowed-mode?

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
What about when you open up Safari? Does it seem slow or does it pretty much pop up instantly? It could be just Firefox. Firefox isn't the best browser when it comes to OS X integration. Camino is much better in terms of speed.

Also about the video streaming issue, shouldn't the shortcut be "command-tab"?

safari seems alrite speed. but yea.. the video streaming issue thing.. command tab changes the programs.. command- and that button on top of tab changes windows within programs.. i used to be able to do that with tiger.. but not when im watching a video.. its weird.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
safari seems alrite speed. but yea.. the video streaming issue thing.. command tab changes the programs.. command- and that button on top of tab changes windows within programs.. i used to be able to do that with tiger.. but not when im watching a video.. its weird.

I know, I caught my mistake too late about the "command - ~" shortcut. :)

I updated the post, but I'll write it here too. What app are you using for the streaming? Is this in full screen? If not, can you use "command-~" in windowed-mode? It could be a Leopard issue, like you said.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
I know, I caught my mistake too late about the "command - ~" shortcut. :)

I updated the post, but I'll write it here too. What app are you using for the streaming? Is this in full screen? If not, can you use "command-~" in windowed-mode? It could be a Leopard issue, like you said.

im still just using firefox.. it seems a lil faster than safari.. cuz i open lots of tabs and stuff. anyways.. its a lil thing but it kinda bugs sometimes. so far.. leopard is kinda sub par..

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
im still just using firefox.. it seems a lil faster than safari.. cuz i open lots of tabs and stuff. anyways.. its a lil thing but it kinda bugs sometimes. so far.. leopard is kinda sub par..

Ah, again sorry. I thought you were using a video app like Quicktime or VLC to stream your content. Anyway, have you tried streaming the video in Safari and see if the shortcut works? If it doesn't, that could mean a Leopard issue. If it works, then it could be a Firefox issue.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Ah, again sorry. I thought you were using a video app like Quicktime or VLC to stream your content. Anyway, have youtried streaming the video in Safari and see if the shortcut works? If it doesn't, that could mean a Leopard issue. If it works, then it could be a Firefox issue.

yea i just tried it.. in safari it works.. its probably a firefox thing. hey another question do u use cabos to download music?

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
well markms.. please read my other post about cabos and itunes and maybe you can help thanx.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
yea i just tried it.. in safari it works.. its probably a firefox thing. hey another question do u use cabos to download music?

I usually use Amazon or iTunes for my music. But I've heard that Acquisition is a nicer app. Just remember that it's shareware, but you can use as many times as you want without paying for it. Only limiting factors are that it limits searches and after an hour it slows down your download speeds to 10kbps or something. Overall awesome app. Also heard frostwire is nice too.

jnguyen4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
alrite guys.. my bad.. leopard isn't why my computer is slower. i have been seeding a lot of torrents you know to be nice. but that was really causing my browsing speed and everything to be slow. now that i close transmission, everything is back to speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.