Leopard + Airport + At&t Yahoo DSL = wtf?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pandaboots, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

This is a bit long, but very important...

Ok, not to totally blame Leopard but....

Ever since "upgrading" to Leopard, I've had issues with my wireless internet connection, as have countless many of other users. However, my issues may be more or less related to my isp than Leopard, so that's what I'm here to find out.

I had similar issues with Tiger but not as often or as bad. Ok, here's what happens. Apparently I either lose signal from At&t or I lose signal from my iMac to the 2Wire router (not sure exactly). Anyway, this page will pop up when accessing a web page and the error occurs:

Picture 1.png

So I might wait a few seconds and then click refresh or just click the check connection button (which by the way looks like a pc style button now vs. the usual rounded clear shiny apple style button before safari 3 upgrade). If all goes well, I'll get this screen:

Picture 3.png

Great! However when I type the url or click the bookmark of the page I was tryign to access when this error occurred, I get stuck on the above posted page. I can navigate to another web page just fine though. Resetting Safari, clearing cache, etc. has no effect on fixing the issue.

With Tiger, this happened maybe 2x a week, with Leopard this happens many times daily. Also, with Tiger, once the page said successful, all was good; I could reload webpage and move on. With Leopard, if I wait 15 min the page will magically load up fine or if I restart Mac, then all is fine. Even when this problem appears, I can open up another tab and keep navigating other pages so I'm obviously not losing connection as far as I can see. Anyone have any suggestions or similar experience using wireless and a 2wire router? (btw most of my d/c problems occurred when playing wow in tiger, now most of my d/c issues occur with surfing web in Leopard :mad:)

Oh, and the PC computer also in this house using the network works flawlessly(well connecting to and keeping a connection to the internet wirelessly at least and also the HP printer drivers are superb, but that's another thread :rolleyes:)

2. jupitertoo macrumors newbie

I have the same problem!

And no one from Apple or AT&T seems to know what's going on. :(

3. Mr9758 macrumors regular

Hmmm... I have ATT Yahoo DSL and an Airport Extreme but haven't been having any problems.

4. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

Well I called them (yahoo DSL) and they did admit to there being issues with Leopard and Safari 3...Their suggestion..lol ready?

Download Firefox..hahahahahaha! What a joke...come on Wimax where are you? Unfortunaltey this is the only affordable high speed available to me atm. On a sidenote, I used to be with a local wireless company and was using the airport express router and it worked flawlessly (well when the ISP was sending a signal anyway). They had 2 outages in 5 months for 8 hours each...anyway..hope to see a fix by Apple soon..been sending them bug reports everythime it happens, which atm is about 3 times per day. Luckily a fix is only 30 seconds of my time (restart the computer) but it's the internet ya know? child's play..why all these issues? and why the inconvenience? Rigjt now the Internet is a crapshoot for me...sigh:mad:

5. neoserver macrumors 6502

Based on the messages that the modem is giving you in that screenshot, It sounds like you've got signal problems on your DSL line. The modem mentions not having a DSL link, which is something completely unrelated to your mac, Leopard, or Safari. My experience with 2wire routers hasn't been stellar. Perhaps call AT&T and ask for someone to come out and check your signals, or see if they can give you a replacement router and see if that fixes things. (I'm assuming that your 2wire router also functions as the DSL modem like the one's I've dealt with in the past.)

Have you tried resetting your router at all?

6. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

yea..I've reset it etc...hmm maybe the router is screwy but the pc in this house never has this issue, so i assumed it was a problem with the mac and router communications. I'll see if future OSX updates alleviate the issue..thanks for the suggestion though. Oh and as a sidenote - as soon as I get this message I just open a new tab and the internet works fine, except for the page I was trying to open when the error occurred. In order to keep surfing that site, I either wait 30 mins or restart computer. Also, I've noticed certificate warnings popping up when things are ready to lock up...????

7. je1ani macrumors 6502

my girlfriend TOTALLY gets those exact same messages! It goes off and on, on it's own.

8. robkore macrumors newbie

Any news on this?

I'm having the exact same problems with Leopard. We have a Tiger iBook on the same network, and it is not having this issue (nor is our Tivo or Wii). Anybody know of a solution for this?

9. Vocalvoodoo macrumors newbie

Same problem here too, but I don't get that screen. When a page stops responding, the airport says it's scanning. None of the PC's in the house have this problem.

10. Skruggs macrumors newbie

2Wire Status Lights

I have the same problem which I can usually clear by flushing the cache on the Mac.

In Terminal,
    $ sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
    then type your password

One other thing I've noted, sometimes when receiving the error page from the 2Wire router, the status lights on the front of the router start flashing green (when they are supposed to be steady green) and even go red.

The router takes several seconds to reconnect to DSL, but trying to reload a page on the mac can knock it off again. PC's connected to the 2wire do not produce this same action.

I'm surprised that the defect in Leopard seems to be able to knock the 2wire out of sync with the DSL signal.

11. imaduro macrumors member

I have the same exact problem, the same messages on the screen shots you posted. The only way I found to get rid of the problem is to reset the modem every time the message shows up. It happens randomly and I been searching for an answer all morning.......

12. penelope2910 macrumors newbie

Having the same problem

I am having the exact same problem. I have att dsl and have called several times. They have reset my modem, router (2wire) and it works for a while and then the same thing happens. I have two macs on Leopard and this only happens to by macbook pro. I have also called Apple and they said that since my other computers can connect to the internet, it it not a problem with the computer. If anyone can solve this, I would really like to know. Thanks.

13. fritza macrumors newbie

Here's what's going on

I have a 2Wire 2701HG-B on an AT&T DSL line. The line checks out fine, but the tech says it's marginal when the modem/router is connected. That doesn't rule out transient failures, but the line, at its best, is okay, but of lower quality when the 2Wire is on it.

There are a couple of things wrong with this setup:

• The DSL connection drops spontaneously once or twice a day (that may be a line problem).
    • Once in a while, the router spontaneously restarts itself.
    • The router drops the DSL connection most times I turn on the AirPort on my MacBook. This is definitely a defect in the router, or in its design.

When the connection to the Internet is down, the router pursues a Bizarro strategy of "helping" you. Any connection you attempt to make during the outage is intercepted by the router itself; the only kind of connection it knows how to deal with is a web connection, and it uses the intercept to present a web page telling you the Internet connection is down. When it comes back up, it intercepts with the Resolution Successful page.

It does the interception by falsifying DNS address lookups: Any web page you ask for, it gives you the IP address of the router (192.168.1.1). And it's not just web pages: If my mail client tries to fetch mail, and asks for the address of my mail server, it gets the router, which stonewalls it, and all my inboxes have those "!" can't-connect badges.

This is bad enough, but maybe par for the course in a Windows world.

Leopard makes this situation worse. When it gets an IP address from DNS, it caches the address (saves it for later). If it asks for mail.mac.com, it gets the router's address. When Leopard needs the address again, it doesn't ask; it uses the last IP address it has "on file." Which means that it will continue to try to get mail from the router.

This goes on until the cache is flushed, and the next query goes out to DNS (the real DNS, assuming you're back on line). This happens after the elapse of some minutes (if others on this thread say 15, then 15 it is).

The short-term solution is to flush the cache yourself. Open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal), and type

The long-term solution, it appears, is to have a router/modem that can hold a DSL connection, and that doesn't try to be cute when it drops. AT&T will treat a Netopia Cayman as a separate sale (I'd have to return the 2Wire for separately, for a refund), which is what the DSL tech recommended I do.

Maybe the second 2Wire will work out, but in two hours I've already seen one DSL drop from an AirPort connection, and one spontaneous restart.

14. fritza macrumors newbie

Further research (there's a long thread about nearly this issue on the World of Warcraft forum) suggests that 2Wire + Apple Intel AirPort is a known problem for dropping the broadband link. It seems not to be an AT&T issue (except insofar as they push 2Wire equipment, and seem to have no clue that this is a common problem).

If you have the problem, and can document it (model, hardware revision, software revision... it's all in the router's configuration pages), post a support request at support.2wire.com. I just did, and will let you know what I find out, if I can.

15. Skruggs macrumors newbie

Leopard Only

The problem for me only started when I upgraded to 10.5. I never had these disconnection issues using the same MacBook Pro and 10.4.x
    Apple seems to have done something in the Airport drivers for Leopard that can bump the 2Wire off line. I never see such behavior with Windows machines only or with the MacBook attached to the 2Wire by Ethernet.

16. conancn macrumors member

17. hunterdog macrumors newbie

Same issue, but on .Mac only

I was alerted to this problem every time I tried to send email via my .Mac account. Mail or WebMail is no difference -- I can receive email but I can't send anything. Yahoo, GMail, VPN, Browsing, WebEx, Remote Desktop even all work. Sending email via .Mac is my only issue.

I have a Mac Pro, Leopard, Airport, Airport Express, 2Wire, AT&T DSL. Flushing the cache doesn't help.

18. joekid macrumors newbie

maybe same problem

i have a imac intel core duo that connected to a apple airport (not extreme) that is bridged to a linksys router and wirespeed dsl modem on at&t. i just upgraded to leopard 10.5 and the connection drops pretty often now. im not super technical, i dont get the same page the others are getting what i do get is either a spinning ball or cant connect with server and i see a red light on the linksys router for a second or two blink (what is that?) then ill wait try again it will work.:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    any ideas?

19. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

yes i have major lag/ disconnect issues with wow too...

20. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

the majority of my airport issues started with leopard too...before Leopard I could just let the router freak a bit here and there and it would correct itself within a minute or so and then I was back to surfing/playing games etc.

21. yingyang macrumors newbie

Same here

First off, hi. New member.

I want to address the AT&T DSL issue. It is not the line/signal. It is the 2wire. I am a tech for AT&T that works on DSL everyday. We have had several obvious engineering flaws with the 2701HG.

I have had the same problem with my 2wire. That is how I found the forum, looking for a resolve.

My suggestion would be to approach 2wire. They have a problem with "excessive sharing". I found this problem when people were opening multiple ftp sessions. The 2wire determines that is too much traffic and just reboots.
    I am pretty sure that this feature was setup for worms,etc. Too much traffic leaving LAN, shut the gate and worm cannot ping, saving humanity.

Anyway, I would love to have this problem resolved. I did not start having issues until upgrading to Leopard, but I do not see it being a Mac prob. You can switch to any other brand of modem/router and problem no longer exists.

I say we storm the gates at 2wire and let them answer the question. The only problem I forsee is that they will probably not offer support for mac users.

22. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Right i haven't read this thread all the way through.

Your problem is the 2Wire Modem/Router i had the exact same problem with my one until i got so P***ed that i just bought an Airport Extreme and it has seemed to fix my problems. It's not your ISP, Safari or Leopard (Although it does sometimes lose connection for no reason depending on Modem/Router, Seems too only like Airport Extreme in my experience).

The reason the PC likes your 2Wire Modem/Router is because it mainly built for it.

I think it might be time for a new Modem/Router for you LoL

Just My 2¢.

Northy124

23. Skruggs macrumors newbie

Very Interesting to Know

I've made several requests to 2Wire for support on this issue and have not gotten much in response. The last time I checked nothing on the topic was even on their support forum.

I initially thought that upgrading to 10.5.2 had solved the problem but alas I finally saw a modem reset and the same error screen on about the 4th day post upgrade. So my experience has been that the issue occurs MUCH less frequently, but isn't completely resolved.

A question for our member who works for ATT:

Do you have a suggestion for a DSL modem that can be configured to replace the 2Wire combo box that you find is Rock Solid?. I'm going to be buying a Time Capsule when they come out later in Feb, and using it as my WiFi router makes sense, but it doesn't come with a DSL modem. I can either hard cable it to the ports on the 2Wire's ethernet switch, or I can ditch the 2Wire completely for a stand alone modem. Recommendation?

24. wnorris macrumors member

wnorris

I am having the exact same issues as most with Airport on both my iMac and Macbook since 10.5.2. I am in Japan and use NTT (AT&T for Japan basically).

I think the problem resides with Leopard vice anything else. I have a Dell laptop with XP and another Dell with Ubuntu that both run flawlessly as did the Macs before Leopard. If I have a wired connection everything is good, it is only with systems with Leopard that are giving me problems when wireless.

I have a D-Link DIR-625 router and have never had issues before now.

The only time I had any consistent luck was with 10.5, unfortunately I am going back to it full time now at least on my MacBook.

25. California macrumors 68040

California

Sorry guys but someone at Apple helped me with this. I had to drag something to my desktop, something having to do with my airport settings in tiger before I upgraded to Leopard.

I am sorry I don't remember what file or what string or whatever it was I had to drag.

I was SBC before it went ATT. Sorry so vague.

Oh, and ATT IT guy had me reload my mail program and I lost 4 YEARS OF EMAIL on my hard drive. (this was on the laptop at the same time of the upgrade to Leopard) The ATT people are useless. I would still like to sue.