Leopard Alternate Account Login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thosejaunes, Jul 1, 2008.

1. thosejaunes macrumors newbie

Hello,

I occasionally use the family Leopard MacBook, on which I have my own account. I would like it to login automatically to the main account on startup, as it is doing, but I would also like to retain the option of logging in to my account without having to first wait for it to login to the main account and then log back out and in again to mine. Is there a combination of keystrokes I can press while booting up to facilitate this, or is it impossible? It certainly is not a life or death kind of issue (to say the least), but it would be a nice time saver, and I haven't been able to find anything on it elsewhere. Would much appreciate the information.

Thanks,

JDS

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

probably not what your looking for exactly but you can enable fast user switching in Account preferences.

it allows you to login to another user without logging out using the icon that is placed into the menu bar. but you still have to wait for the icon the load when you startup into the main account before you can fast user switch.

3. thosejaunes thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved!!

Thanks richthomas,

I have used fast user switching before, but, as you said, I'd still have to log all the way into the first account.

BUT, after searching for something else entirely, I came upon this page, http://homepage.mac.com/frakes/MOSXPT/content/keyboard.html, and right there I see the answer: holding down shift after the boot screen (not directly at startup!) overrides auto-login, presenting you with the login screen. Exactly what I wanted!

JDS