Leopard and Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lilmissae, Nov 13, 2008.

1. lilmissae macrumors newbie

I downloaded a game that requires Windows (maplestory), and tried to play it through VMware. An error popped up and the way to fix it was to update my graphics card/driver.

I have a macbook and the graphics are integrated so I can't update them.

If I bought Leopard and tried to play this game through Bootcamp, would it work? Or would it just end up in the same result since its all coming from the same graphics card?

I have played other games, like Sims2 on my mac.. both through bootcamp beta and on my mac.
    I'm so confused about this whole situation, I don't want to spend $160 to buy leopard only to find out it doesn't do what I want it to do.

If only there was a way to have bootcamp on tiger.. I used to have bootcamp beta until my harddrive crashed, right after they discontinued beta testing. Bummer.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You need to check the system requirements of your games to determine whether you have the proper hardware requirements. If you don't have the minimum (or above), chances are the game won't play properly.

True, by booting to windows via BootCamp, you will have a graphics boost because you will be using all of your memory resources in windows as opposed to a portion of virtual memory allocation through Fusion; but, it's still the same video card (or lack there of) situation.

Your answer may wind up being in a gaming forum instead of this one. -GDF

3. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Maplestory has very low minimum requirements and should work just fine with the gma, so the problem is probably due to your virtualization software. Are you running the latest version of vmware?

4. lilmissae thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently running version 1.1.2 of VMware, I'm not sure if this is the latest version of VMware.
    The option to enable 3D acceleration is grayed out, I don't know if this is because of my computer or VMware.

Thank you for your responses.

Is there a newer VMware? And do you think Maplestory would work with it?

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The latest version is 2.0. I'm not familiar with the product but there is a forum on there website that may be able to help.

6. pensoftware macrumors member

Hey there! I play MapleStory too! I installed Windows Vista via Boot Camp and then I installed the drivers. Next, I used VMWare and booted up MapleStory from my Boot Camp partition and it worked fine.