Leopard and G4?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asherman13, Jun 24, 2007.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Does anybody know what Leopard's compatibility is/will be with PPC G4 processors? My little brother is on an iBook and he wants to know if it's worthwhile to save for it.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Apple officially says that G4 + firewire is the minimum spec for Leopard.

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Specs somewhere said it will support the high end G3's, so any G4 should be fine.

First post here.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I belive that G4 CPUs and later are required, but there will be reduced functionality with older Macs...not sure exactly what the specifics are.

5. d.f macrumors regular

also interested

can any developers shed some light on this..?

i'm happy with what i've seen on the web of leopard. solid update. i don't expect it to fly on my g4, but if, (and that's a big if) quickview isn't too slow, then i think the OS upgrade will actually give me a quicker experience than getting the latest Core2Duo laptop.

not bad for 130 quid.

6. radiantheat macrumors newbie

G4 550 mz powerbook wont run 94a44

I have tried to install 9A466 on my 550 mz g4 powerbook. The installation stops and the message says " Go to hell poor man ! " NO just kidding, it just says " computer does not meet requirements."

Apples offical requirements are at least a 800 mz CPU, even if its a G4. Is there any work-around possible. ?

can't buy new machine , kids needs food again !

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd have though Xpostfacto will work again.

8. soup4you2 macrumors regular

Leopard will fully be supported on G4's w/ firewire they are however dropping support for G3's. however a fast modification on a certain file can fix this.

9. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Any idea if Leopard will run with 3rd party G4 processor upgrades. i.e. thinking of upgrading my 500 MHz Sawtooth with a PowerLogix PowerForce Dual 1.0 GHz G4 Series 100 for the 10.5 switch

10. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Leopard requires a single core 800MHz G4 or faster processor. It'll probably run fine on any dual processor machine.

Why? Because the Core Image effects, if you dont have a supporting graphics card, are done all in software, which on the older processors, can make everything rather slow.

With my Dual 1 GHz G4, its faster than Tiger.

11. giffut macrumors 6502

You ...

... definitely need a machine with a core animation capable graphics card. Otherwise your G4 will be flatened solely by processing all those animations.

A notebook without core animation support, like the Titanium and early Aluminium series, would hardly be usable at all and all possible fans constantly running at full speed while having little power left for any useful things to do; and it could get too loud, I fear.

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Not true at all. Thats just FUD.

I'm running it on the machine in my sig, with a Radeon 9000 Pro, which is not Core Image capable.

It says that CI is done in software. Yet, the entire UI still feels faster than Tiger, so they must have optimized the codebase well enough to do CI in software without a speed penalty.

13. radiantheat macrumors newbie

re: leopard on 550 mz g4

FYI xpostfacto did not work. same error message.

14. rtn5000 macrumors newbie

I believe that the effects are just not shown at all if your GPU does not support it...like the dashboard water drop effect when you put in a new widget on an ibook..

15. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

When i used the latest build it stated a 800 mhz G4 or faster, i don't know if it's such a high requirement because of the developer tools ect., but that's what it said

16. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Anyone have a workaround? I have a friend who is a Developer and has a GigaDesigns 1.8 upgrade on his G4, but same error.