Leopard and games... ?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Frank the Tank, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Frank the Tank macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Has there been any mention about Leopard and games/games performance/related features? I constantly hear about the new productivity features, but *nothing* about gaming. I know OS X is not a mainstream gaming platform, obviously, though I seem to remember past OS updates touting faster driver performance, etc...

2. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

It's my understanding that new OpenGL optimizations in 10.5 should in general provide better gaming performance than 10.4 .

3. icecone macrumors regular

yup

OpenGL Improvements

OpenGL is the industry-standard API for developing portable, interactive 2D and 3D applications. Mac OS X has supported OpenGL from the outset and in Leopard it supports the latest OpenGL 2.1 specification which adds pixel buffer objects, color managed texture images in the sRGB color space, and improvements in the shader programming API.

Leopard also provides a dramatic increase in OpenGL performance by offloading CPU-based processing onto another thread which can then run on a separate CPU core feeding the GPU. This can increase, or in some cases, approach double the performance of OpenGL-based applications.

I'm really interested in knowing if it actually helps

4. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

I was curious about Leopard and World of Warcraft.

5. dethl macrumors regular

6. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

WoW has run fine in all the seeds (well, at least all the ones I have used). I don't know about the GM of Leopard, however I wouldn't expect any trouble.