Leopard and hardware question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XxCH3AT3RxX, Mar 4, 2009.

1. XxCH3AT3RxX macrumors regular

I have heard the leopard OEM disc that comes with the computer only works on that specific hardware. I know that means you cannot use a MacBook leopard OEM disc on an iMac or MacBook Pro. What I was wondering is can a new white MacBook that my brother just received be used on an older 2006 BlackBook (I think that is what they're called)? I have an early 2006 model and was curious about this since it is the same specs as my brothers white MacBook.

I was't planning on trying this since I like Tiger and have heard Leopard slows the system down a bit, but was just curious about my question since they are like the same hardware.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is no such thing as an OEM disk: these only exist where the manufacturer supplies the software to a third party Original Equipment Manufacturer.

The Restore DVD shipped with any Mac is locked to that hardware. It is also only licensed for that hardware: using it to install Leopard on another machine is against the EULA.

I would expect it to not work on an older MacBook: it will have a different hardware version ID (Macbookx,y where x and y are integers).