Leopard and Lexmark x4550

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DJMastaWes, Dec 25, 2007.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Hey guys, happy holidays.

I just got a wireless Lexmark x4550 printer, and when I try and connect it to my macbook pro running leopard, it doesn't see the printer. I'm doing exactly what it tells me to do in the instructions.

Connect via Air Port to the printer, open safari, click on Bonjour...
    from there, I'm supposed to see the printer model somewhere, but it doesn't show up in bonjour, so I'm not sure what to do.

help?

2. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

okay, I got it to mount on the computer, and have it added to the printer list, but when I try to print, it says there's a problem communicating with the printer.

3. iheartcanada macrumors member

I have the same problem with my lexmark z1400 i bought for my dorm room..

It's a driver issue. The drivers supplied don't work in 10.5 and there are rumors that there won't be an updated set until 3/08.

I've gotten as far as dragging a document in the print queue and it hangs and eventually crashes open office and all of the other text editors that i use.

4. mindcrash macrumors member

mindcrash

See this thread on the Apple Discussion Forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1236974&start=0&tstart=0

It looks like the link to the updated driver is wrong and you end up downloading the old driver that installs the printer in Tiger. Apparently they're trying to fix this, but I wouldn't hold your breath. It seems that updating a download link is an incredibly complicated process for Lex "We'll make sure your next printer is HP" Mark.

In the mean time I guess I'll just continue booting up XP via VMWare to print anything.

5. okanagan macrumors newbie

Band together

I'm another victim of the Lexmark X4550 not working on Leopard. I've emailed Lexmark's customer service to look for answers to solve this issue. Alas, they informed me it may be months before a driver is created. Perhaps if more people 'hassled' Lexmark customer service, we might see that driver sooner than later.

Hopefully this link will get you started: www.lexmark.com

Cheers!

6. okanagan macrumors newbie

Printing from OS 10.5 on Lexmark X4550

I've found a bit of a loophole to get my iMac with OS 10.5 to print on the Lexmark X4550. I did download the new driver that came out Dec. 21 '07, but Leopard still won't respond properly. However, I've found that if I go through System Preferences, open Print & Fax, then Open Print Queue, and drag the "Pages" document I want to print to the opened Print Queue page, the document will print. Pain in the neck, but at least it works for now.
    Good luck!

7. iheartcanada macrumors member

Yeah, I emailed them about 3 days ago and haven't received anything in return. They said if you send an email, they will send you a temporary fix for connection via USB.

8. febef macrumors newbie

Wireless printer setup via CUPS

Months... Sic!

A surprisingly simple workaround to get wireless printing under Leopard with the new Lexmark printers has been posted in this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5893126#5893126

It has been there since mid-November (!) - while up to now Lexmark has been unable to provide their customers with a solution or give any useful advice, not even managing since 21 December to fix the download link to the supposedly meanwhile existing new Leopard drivers...

(Indeed, it used to take months to get somewhere - that was the communication age of the stagecoach... A joyful posthorn serenade to Lexmark!)

9. febef macrumors newbie

New Leopard compatible drivers available for download

At last!

10. ibeeby macrumors newbie

Lexmark are the very worst...

I bought a Lexmark x4550 printer in September 2007 and immediately reported major issues with the driver set to Lexmark support. These include the usual suspects such as not being able to print wirelessly, scanning only working the first time after each install etc etc and also, sadly, the wireless unit simply being unable to work with an industrial grade wifi router using a WPA key.

They have finally got back to me, over a year later, and have started asking stupid questions (the usual suspects which I shall not bore you with) but now that I also have a linix computer, for which Lexmark is a known disaster, I've decided to throw in the towel and get an HP.

My friend recommends the LaserJet 1022n and I may well go for its successor, the M1120n. I WILL NEVER EVER AGAIN BUY ANY LEXMARK PRODUCT, EVER.

Best of Luck folks...

Ian

11. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt