Leopard and Migration Assistant - help please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Applespider, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm about to get a new iMac and I suspect it will come with a drop-in Leopard DVD rather than being pre-installed. I currently have a Powerbook running Tiger which has two users; an admin that is only used for installing stuff and my local standard account which I use day to day.

1. Can I install Leopard without having to go through all the initial set-up on the Mac setting up user accounts etc?

2. If not, am I better to migrate all my data over and then do an upgrade to Leopard? Or do the upgrade to Leopard and then migrate all my data across?

3. If I have to set up the iMac first and then migrate my stuff over, what's the best way of doing it to keep one admin and one standard account? Can I set up a new Admin user on the iMac (with my usual admin name) and then just migrate my standard account over? Do I set up the iMac with a 'temporary' admin account, port the old two accounts over and then delete the 'temporary' one?

4. If I have the same two user names on the two Macs, will it cause problems if I share stuff between them - other than potentially confusing me?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, if your admin account is bare then I'd just leave it be. I don't know that there's a point in migrating that account across. I'd personally use Migration Assistant to move (some) of the data from your old user to the new machine but I'd manually reinstall the apps. I'd then install Leopard.

There shouldn't be any issue with using the same username (and even password) on both machines. I'm not running Leopard but it works fine for me on Tiger and did on Panther too. As you said, human error and confusion is the only thing to be wary of.

You could upgrade to Leopard first if you like, but I think there's less room for error if you don't. Remember that Migration Assistant isn't the sturdiest piece of software, so don't rely on it too much. If you're keeping your old machine then be prepared that at worst you may have to reformat the new machine and start again.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a slightly different question, but was hoping mad jew would give me his personal take. I have an Al iMac 2.8 and plan to upgrade to Leopard. Is it worth it to back everything up and do a clean install or better just to do an archive & install and then delete the previous system folder?

4. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Thanks mj

I've been doing some reading on the Apple discussions and there seem to a few oddities with new iMacs upgrading until a few software updates are run - with the solution being an A&I since it throws the iMac into a log-in loop for some reason?

So there's a part of me seriously considering now setting up the temp account, downloading any updates, installing Leopard and downloading any updates and then running the migration (since I'm guessing the update should happen quicker with virtually no data on the drive).

I've got a bootable backup and will be keeping the PB so no real worries if it screws up entirely although obviously would prefer to get it up and running as quickly and easily as possible.

5. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I bought a MBP with Tiger installed. Installed Leopard then moved my stuff across. Having some problems with Mail - first I used migration assistant but mail and something else wouldn't open because the apps have been upgraded so then I started again. Reinstalled Tiger then Leopard and moved the files across using a firewire connection. Still having problems with Mailboxes. I'm going to start again, install Tiger, move everything across from the old machine also running Tiger then install Leopard. There is a mail solution but I can't follow it. It's been a bit of a pain but I reckon I've been learning quite a lot in the process!

Sorry, can't help with the other problems. Just thought you might find my experience useful.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

An Archive & Install really should suffice considering how long you must have had the machine. However, I'd probably personally do a format and install for peace of mind, albeit it's unnecessary. Either way, back everything up as if it were going to be a full reformat, just in case something goes wrong. :)

Yeah, that really should be fine. Use Migration Assistant simply for data transfer and you'll be right. Avoid using it for apps though, especially since you're coming from a PowerPC machine.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think when going PPC to Intel it is probably best to start afresh, though it may be better to do the transfer Leopard to Leopard, or just copy across the essentials manually.

8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I'm upgrading from a PPC mac as well (eMac G4 700MHz), and I was wondering ig the migration assistant would help me transfer my iTunes library info (not the songs themselves, as they're already on an external drive) to my new iMac. I'm interested in saving all the ratings and play counts, mostly. Playlists aren't necessary. Is there an easy way to do this, be it with Migration Assistant or not?

EDIT: BTW, my new iMac comes with the Leopard drop-in DVD instead of being installed, like the OP.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just put the files from your Music folder on the eMac into the equivalent spot on the new iMac and you should be fine. If that doesn't work, then start iTunes whilst holding OPTION and select the new files. :)

10. Gibson424 macrumors member

Macbook Hard Drive Replacement

I have sort of a different situation but hopefully it applies to this thread. I have a Macbook with an 80gb hard drive running leopard. I just bought a 250gb hard drive to drop into the Macbook. My Leopard install DVD is currently with my brother...far...far away from me...don't worry, i did purchase the family pack :) ...So is it possible for me to drop in the new hard drive and transfer everything (OS included) without the Leopard disc? Can I use the original Tiger DVD that came with my Macbook to set up the new drive and then transfer everything from the old drive (OS included)?

My initial thought is no way and that I need the leopard DVD, but I figured maybe someone might know something I don't.

11. bkkowen macrumors newbie

The key thing is not necessarily the Leopard DVD, but a case for the new/old internal disk. Just put the new disk in the case temporarily, use Carbon Copy Cloner (can use free trial version) to clone your old disk onto the new and you're set. Then just switch the disks. Before cloning, however, you should format (using disk utility) the new disk as GUID, which is required for boot disks in Intel Macs. No Leopard DVD required.

But as you asked this question nearly a week ago, you may have already had your brother send the DVD along.

12. Gibson424 macrumors member

Actually I haven't yet. I'll definitely check that out. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work for the next 8 hours so I'll be eagerly anticipating the chance to try it! Thanks! :D