Leopard and pro-tools. And buying new imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Benjy82, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Benjy82 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone.
    I have been looking around your site and i know there have been a lot of questions about leopard. I was hoping i could tell you my situation and get some advice.

I am about to buy a 20" 2.4ghz iMac for recording. I also have an MBOX2 mini on the way (a recording interface) This will have Pro tools 7.3 LE. I have been thinking of moving away from microsoft for a while and my Vaio is on its last legs.

I was happy to wait for Leopard to be released but i have just been signed off work for 2 weeks with clinical depression. At the moment im finding very hard to make decisions and my partner doesnt know enough about computers to help. Buying the computer earlier would mean i could get it in about 4 days which would give me something to do while i recover. But i know i will be gutted when Leopard is released.

If anyone could tell me whether they know anything about whether pro tools will work with leopard that may sway my decision. I could always buy leopard in about 3 months. I just need any advice i can get as i am very confused right now :confused:

2. thegrifman macrumors regular

I'm not a pro tools user, but it looks like they are expecting it to run on Leopard in December, granted Leopard is released in October as expected. Personally, if it were me, I'd wait until I was more comfortable making a decision to decided to buy.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/16/avid.for.mac.pro.by.dec/

3. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Do i have to run Protools in Windows on my new iMac?

Just pulled a 24" out of the box but went to the protools website and there is still no leopard update, just confusing gorp about running it off an 10.4 disk? huh? I could just as easily run a windows version no? I don't get it. It's March already...confused...:eek:

4. UNSTABLE macrumors newbie

This was helpful to me (Downgraded Leopard to Tiger to Use Protools)

I just bought a new Imac 20" and it came with Leopard. I read a bunch of sites and the link below gave the easiest rundown on how to downgrade to Tiger. Be sure to have a Tiger installation DVD as well. Also for my HipHop heads add ya boy on myspace and check out the music

Peace,

Visit this link http://www.mariasguides.com/2007/12/19/downgrading-from-leopard/

STABLE
    www.myspace.com/unstablepd

5. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

hi there, I solved all my problems without a downgrade, which heck, just looked like a stupid thing to do...I mean what is life without timemachine?

so i just kept the course and now protools 7.4.r3 works in leopard 10.5 just fine, irregardless of what Digidesign says. Most of the 3rd party plugins however are another story...most don't work, especially the RSTA ones...but the VST wrapper tool fixes most of that... good luck!

6. sfs macrumors member

I have Pro Tools Academic on an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, running 7.3.1.cs5 on Leopard 10.5.2. RTAS plugins seem to work fine for me, or else the VST/RTAS indicator is broken.

To anyone looking to buy Pro Tools (or Avid): Leopard is not yet officially supported by Digidesign (or Avid), but they both work quite well on Leopard.

7. cschreppel macrumors regular