Leopard and the Black Screen of Death!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spliff, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Spliff macrumors regular

Was the weirdest thing, I lost my network and my apps stopped responding. Then all the sudden, the screen slowly went from top to bottom to a transparent black, and then a message was displayed on the screen that said that I needed to shut down and restart OSX by holding down the power button for a few seconds. Basically OSX instructed me to do a cold boot.

I certainly hope they issue some patches soon, as I've experienced some really weird stuff with Leopard since upgrading last Friday. Losing my network after waking the Mac up from a sleep as well as Mail crashing (with Gmail IMAP) has been pretty persistent, and this black screen thing was just icing on the cake!

Anyone else experience this screen yet? It was reminiscent of those Windows blue screen days :eek:

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

3. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh thanks for the reply, I heard of kernel panic but didn't know it was the same as what I experienced.

At least they have a name for it, as it doesn't sound so bad when there is a term for this (as opposed to the "blue screen" in Windows which to Microsoft is an embarrassing term) :p

4. streetfighter macrumors newbie

This is actually pretty common. It has happened to me on Tiger.

5. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Kernel panics aren't something to worry about unless they happen repetitively. I got one with Tiger when my graphics card overheated.