Leopard and Tiger on same machine - looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bimmi, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Bimmi macrumors regular

This old G5 of mine will be getting its first-ever OS reinstall in the next week or so, and it will be somewhat uncharted territory for me. I am finally going to take the plunge with Leopard, but I want to keep Tiger just in case the new cat and I don't get along.

My main concern is how to best allot drive space for the two OSes*. Putting OS X and OS 9 on the same machine was easy, since OS 9 took up a fairly small and predictable amount of space. Given that Leopard and Tiger apparently need separate versions of many apps and utes, however, I do not feel comfortable putting one or the other on a small partition and crossing fingers that I never run out of room.

On the other hand, I do not want to wind up with lots of wasted, difficult-to-use space, and I want to avoid cumulative file redundancy wherever possible. I don't really use OS X's built-in folders to store my documents, and all my applications currently live in the global apps folder as opposed to my Home folder.

A few specific questions:

– What's the best way to keep personal OS settings and info (mail, bookmarks, etc.) synchronized across both OSes?

– if I update Adobe CS3 to run with Leopard, will it still function on Tiger? or will I need two copies of everything?

– Is putting both OSes on the same partition doable? If so, is it a good idea?

– Is Leopard ready for prime time yet? It sounded pretty awful at first, but I'm way past due taking the leap (whether it becomes my daily-use OS is another story)

So, anyone have any sage advice on the matter? Would be much appreciated.

*The internal drive setup will likely be 1TB for the main drive and 400GB for the secondary.

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

1) NO & HELL NO!

2) Yes, been using it since day one & has only gotten better with each update. However, as always, YMMV :p

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

There is nothing wrong with Leopard. It's been very stable for a long time coming now. I'd suggest getting more memory, but other than that, even a backup then straight upgrade would be fine.

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Come on and join the party. Leopard is a pretty stable release and has been for awhile.

5. Bimmi thread starter macrumors regular

After playing around with Leopard for a bit I am absolutely astounded at how ugly it is.

I guess, barring any advice, that I will just install an OS on each drive and hope for the best.

6. tolerance42 macrumors newbie

I was talking with an Applecare rep a few months ago...I believe 10.5.4 had just come out...she told me to hold off until "Snow Leopard" came out. I haven't actually tried 10.5, so I can't say too much, but I'm running Tiger right now and it's running just fine, so it's really a matter of preference I suppose.

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Really?

8. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

I totally agree. Apple really dropped the ball with Leopard's astetics. Leopard may have lots of "cool new features" but it's truely butt ugly haha.

Who thought it was a good idea to make the menu bar look the way it does? :confused: