leopard and waiting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freud, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. freud macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    #1
    Guys,

    do you think it is wise to wait for Leopard to come out before bying a macbook pro or it will not make any diff at all?

    I dunno, maybe there will be new hardware, or slightly different in the MBP's when Leopard comes in



    clue?
     
  2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

    AdeFowler

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2004
    Location:
    England
    #2
    I'd wait. Once Apple announce a release date you'll be entitled to a free upgrade. I can't honestly see any hardware updates but who know?
     
  3. freud thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    #3
    why wait then?

    I assume if I buy one now, then Leopard will run smoothly on that same hardwaer, and all i'll have to do is upgrade from tiegr to leopard, right?

    then I don't see any advantage of waiting....
     
  4. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #4
    You get it for free.
     
  5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

    Roessnakhan

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2007
    Location:
    ABQ
    #5
    There's also rumors of processor upgrades too floating around - so if you hold off you might get a new OS and a new CPU. :)
     
  6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

    ivi7

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #6
    if you don't mind paying to upgrade to leopard you can buy your laptop now.
     
  7. MikeTheC Guest

    MikeTheC

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2004
    Location:
    Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    #7
    There's two schools of thought on this, as far as I'm concerned.


    First School of Thought: "Buy Now"
    • One thing you'll note as a common theme in both this and the second school of thought is the concern about compatibility.

      Whenever you buy a Mac, whatever OS it ships with becomes the absolute base minimum OS version that that model will work with. This becomes a very important factor because, if there's an app you're interested in and it's not available at the time (or slightly thereafter) of Leopard's release, you may or may not be stuck having to wait for an update. Now, it's true that Leopard's been in the public spotlight for quite some time, and that developers large and small have had all manner of pre-release copies to test their apps, utilities, drivers, etc., against, but that does not necessarily mean that every company will have Leopard-compatible software from Day One.

      Where this also becomes particularly sticky is if you buy a piece of hardware (say, a printer or scanner, for example) and that manufacturer decides to move on to a new model to support under Leopard, potentially you could find your hardware device become defunct instantly. At least if you have a version of Mac OS X that the thing runs on, you can keep using it until you eventually decide to EOL the thing and buy a new one.


    Second School of Thought: "Wait a While"
    • The advantage of waiting a while should be obvious: you'll be more likely to have access to any application you want and you'll be able to rest assured it works under Leopard.

      Also, no matter who releases an OS -- be it Apple, the Linux community, or Microsoft -- stuff will invariably be broken, and waiting until one or two revisions go by is typically sufficient to ensure whatever bugs exist have been fixed.

    Good luck!
     
  8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

    Veritas&Equitas

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2005
    Location:
    Twin Cities, MN
    #8
    Wrong. There are absolutely NO rumors of any processor upgrades; what would they upgrade it to? The next mobile processor on the Intel roadmap is Penryn which isn't due out 'til 2008.
     
  9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    #9
    I agree. Nothing possible until January at least.
     
  10. Lifeguy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #10
    Well, they could upgrade the processors to 2.4 and 2.6...
     
  11. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

    Brianstorm91

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Cambridge, UK
    #11
    I'm just going to

    buy my MBP as soon as Leopard comes out, I've held off since January to buy one, and I could end up waiting forever if I keep waiting for the next new update. I honestly can't wait much longer.
    Leopard (10.5) for October the 5th
    See the link? ;)
     
  12. urbanski macrumors newbie

    urbanski

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #12
    anyone think there might be a chance we'll see a new santa-rosa MB with upgraded onboard gfx (x3?00) announced along with leopard?

    am looking to buy my 1st mac, and an upgraded MB with leopard would be a very tasty & attractive package :)
     
  13. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

    Brianstorm91

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Cambridge, UK
    #13
    Rumours point to a new Macbook line in Spring, brushed aluminium and the like, although I could easily be wrong.
     
  14. bmpwe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    #14
    Not a chance in hell. Apple hasn't named a Golden Master yet. No way they could have it shipping in 6 days.
     
  15. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

    Brianstorm91

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Cambridge, UK
    #15
    I can hope! Apple can't charge me for that.
    Or lock me in an 18 month contract :)
     
  16. jockmock macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2007
    #16
    Although 9to5mac reckons they will be announced together with Leopard
     
  17. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

    Brianstorm91

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Cambridge, UK
    #17
    Which could also end up being Spring '08 if they don't get a move on!
    I'm not impatient :p
     
  18. urbanski macrumors newbie

    urbanski

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #18
    aha! a new hope!
     
  19. portuglish08 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    #19
    Spring?

    What Rumor site is reporting this? I have been following Macrumors and 9to5mac for over a year now, and I don't recall seeing that rumor. I do recall seeing January....
    It better not be spring! I have been waiting for a MBP redesign to update from PC to Mac:apple:.
     
  20. majordude macrumors 68020

    majordude

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2007
    Location:
    Hootersville
    #20
    I'd buy your new computer now. You'll get 10.4 with the computer and an upgrade to 10.5 when it comes out in a few weeks (fingers crossed). So if 10.5 sucks, you can always reinstall 10.4! Best of both worlds!
     
  21. J2joint macrumors newbie

    J2joint

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Cali
    #21
    I'm waiting

    I'm waiting just to save on the upgrade....Me I'm getting the new imac
     

    Attached Files:

  22. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #22
    In a few weeks time Steve will get up and say "I think you all misunderstood me, Leopard won't be released until October 2008. We still have to get the iPhone out to all those other countries yet.."
     
  23. Italiana macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    #23
    ^lol

    I just bought my MBP last week. Screw waiting, I have no patience, I wanted it NOW, dammit. xD
     
  24. jediistar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    #24
    There seems to be 2 schools of thought here and please correct me if I am mistaken. The first few posts in this thread speak of a free upgrade to Leopard?! Is that a free upgrade if you are already a tiger based customer and the download is available for free or its a free upgrade if you wait and purchase after its released to the general public and then you are buying it from scratch rather than upgrading?
     
  25. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

    Island Dog

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Location:
    St. Cloud, FL.
    #25
    If I remember correctly, Apple will offer a free upgrade to the new OS if you purchase a new Mac within a certain time period. For example if you buy a MacBook two weeks before Leopard is released you will get a free upgrade. However, they haven't announced anything like this yet.
     

Share This Page