Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Guys,

do you think it is wise to wait for Leopard to come out before bying a macbook pro or it will not make any diff at all?

I dunno, maybe there will be new hardware, or slightly different in the MBP's when Leopard comes in

clue?

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'd wait. Once Apple announce a release date you'll be entitled to a free upgrade. I can't honestly see any hardware updates but who know?

freud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
why wait then?

I assume if I buy one now, then Leopard will run smoothly on that same hardwaer, and all i'll have to do is upgrade from tiegr to leopard, right?

then I don't see any advantage of waiting....

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
why wait then?

I assume if I buy one now, then Leopard will run smoothly on that same hardwaer, and all i'll have to do is upgrade from tiegr to leopard, right?

You get it for free.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
There's also rumors of processor upgrades too floating around - so if you hold off you might get a new OS and a new CPU. :)

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
why wait then?

if you don't mind paying to upgrade to leopard you can buy your laptop now.

There's two schools of thought on this, as far as I'm concerned.

First School of Thought: "Buy Now"
  • One thing you'll note as a common theme in both this and the second school of thought is the concern about compatibility.

Whenever you buy a Mac, whatever OS it ships with becomes the absolute base minimum OS version that that model will work with. This becomes a very important factor because, if there's an app you're interested in and it's not available at the time (or slightly thereafter) of Leopard's release, you may or may not be stuck having to wait for an update. Now, it's true that Leopard's been in the public spotlight for quite some time, and that developers large and small have had all manner of pre-release copies to test their apps, utilities, drivers, etc., against, but that does not necessarily mean that every company will have Leopard-compatible software from Day One.

Where this also becomes particularly sticky is if you buy a piece of hardware (say, a printer or scanner, for example) and that manufacturer decides to move on to a new model to support under Leopard, potentially you could find your hardware device become defunct instantly. At least if you have a version of Mac OS X that the thing runs on, you can keep using it until you eventually decide to EOL the thing and buy a new one.

Second School of Thought: "Wait a While"
  • The advantage of waiting a while should be obvious: you'll be more likely to have access to any application you want and you'll be able to rest assured it works under Leopard.

Also, no matter who releases an OS -- be it Apple, the Linux community, or Microsoft -- stuff will invariably be broken, and waiting until one or two revisions go by is typically sufficient to ensure whatever bugs exist have been fixed.

Good luck!

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
There's also rumors of processor upgrades too floating around - so if you hold off you might get a new OS and a new CPU. :)
Wrong. There are absolutely NO rumors of any processor upgrades; what would they upgrade it to? The next mobile processor on the Intel roadmap is Penryn which isn't due out 'til 2008.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
I'm just going to

buy my MBP as soon as Leopard comes out, I've held off since January to buy one, and I could end up waiting forever if I keep waiting for the next new update. I honestly can't wait much longer.
Leopard (10.5) for October the 5th
See the link? ;)

urbanski

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
anyone think there might be a chance we'll see a new santa-rosa MB with upgraded onboard gfx (x3?00) announced along with leopard?

am looking to buy my 1st mac, and an upgraded MB with leopard would be a very tasty & attractive package :)

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
anyone think there might be a chance we'll see a new santa-rosa MB with upgraded onboard gfx (x3?00) announced along with leopard?

am looking to buy my 1st mac, and an upgraded MB with leopard would be a very tasty & attractive package :)

Rumours point to a new Macbook line in Spring, brushed aluminium and the like, although I could easily be wrong.

portuglish08

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Spring?

Rumours point to a new Macbook line in Spring, brushed aluminium and the like, although I could easily be wrong.

What Rumor site is reporting this? I have been following Macrumors and 9to5mac for over a year now, and I don't recall seeing that rumor. I do recall seeing January....
It better not be spring! I have been waiting for a MBP redesign to update from PC to Mac:apple:.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
do you think it is wise to wait for Leopard to come out before bying a macbook pro or it will not make any diff at all?

I'd buy your new computer now. You'll get 10.4 with the computer and an upgrade to 10.5 when it comes out in a few weeks (fingers crossed). So if 10.5 sucks, you can always reinstall 10.4! Best of both worlds!

J2joint

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
Cali
I'm waiting

I'm waiting just to save on the upgrade....Me I'm getting the new imac

Attachments

• j2jointwr-purp.jpg
    j2jointwr-purp.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 45

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
In a few weeks time Steve will get up and say "I think you all misunderstood me, Leopard won't be released until October 2008. We still have to get the iPhone out to all those other countries yet.."

Italiana

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
^lol

I just bought my MBP last week. Screw waiting, I have no patience, I wanted it NOW, dammit. xD

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
There seems to be 2 schools of thought here and please correct me if I am mistaken. The first few posts in this thread speak of a free upgrade to Leopard?! Is that a free upgrade if you are already a tiger based customer and the download is available for free or its a free upgrade if you wait and purchase after its released to the general public and then you are buying it from scratch rather than upgrading?

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
If I remember correctly, Apple will offer a free upgrade to the new OS if you purchase a new Mac within a certain time period. For example if you buy a MacBook two weeks before Leopard is released you will get a free upgrade. However, they haven't announced anything like this yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.