Leopard and walking into an Apple Store

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Theblindman2, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Theblindman2 macrumors newbie

Ok, my display on my Macbook is yellowish compared to my other monitors including cinema displays. I've got an appointment with Applecare later today and was wondering...

What do you think will happen when they see I'm using the leopard beta? I loaded Tiger to see if it was just leopard's color profiles that were screwing me up but no, it is the display.

I havent done anything with the install so i'm willing to go back to Tiger but I'm half curious just to see what they would say if i went in there with leopard..

Stupid? or a fascinating study into the responses of Apple employees to pirating software for non-malicious reasons?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well i was going to ask if you had it legitimately or not but i guess your last statement answers my question.

I believe they may talk to you about it as they may not have access to it and they may ask you how you got it. If you say that you got it through less than legal means they may take offense to it. Although they probably deal with lots of computers with illegal versions of Photoshop for example but when it is their own unreleased software who knows.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

First off, sorry to hear about your display problems... it's kind of strange to get a tint from an LCD unless the covering has been damaged some how... did you use anything other than water to clean the display??

As for Leopard being on there they might think that you're one of the many developers out there that gets the beta builds legitimately... you might get responses ranging from fanboyish, to indifference, to the riot act. However since it seems that you shouldn't have this running on your system, why not remove it and play it safe?

4. Theblindman2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think they would assume I'm a developer, I look more in the ADC demographic.

Oh well, I just wanted to test leopard out, bluetooth isnt working so i may just have to go back to Tiger until the official release. Of course i will be purchasing it legitimately when it is available, but i get a kick out of trying out the the newest stuff and i dont think im harming anybody by checking out the new filters in Photo Booth.

No harm meant, but im still curious about what would happen. It might only be a case by case basis with the genius' over there

5. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I agree, better safe than sorry. I'm very careful whenever I send in my Mac for repair. I uninstall anything that Apple might find "fishy".

If you don't mind, send me a copy of Leopard beta, would ya'. ;)
    JK

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm sure your avatar will help you find a copy of leopard.

I think it would be interesting to see what they say but it is also a risk. I personally don't uninstall but rather move to a hidden encrypted disk image then when i get it back it is very easy to get everything back to normal.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Don't pick on Cap'n Jack. :mad:
    My #1 reason for not downloading Leopard beta is because I don't want bit torrent tying up my internet for 5+ days. :eek:
    That, and I'm too afraid Steve Jobs' hit-man is gonna' snipe me the next time I'm walking down the street.

8. Theblindman2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Took me 18 hours on a home (old) DSL line. {certain sites} have it as a popular {generic file type}, therefore it is fast.

FYI, if you go to your local uinversity, library, etc. and say you lost your login, they will give you a temporary one that will allow you to use their connect anonymously... (but that's mean;))

As for Steve Job's assassination squad, I'm worried about that too... :(