Leopard Assist

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by blurryfrancy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. blurryfrancy macrumors newbie

Hi there, I am trying to upgrade from the Mac OS X 4.11 on a 800 MHz iMac G4 "sunflower" to Leopard 5.0 and I am having problems. I have a retail version of Leopard 5.0 on DVD so I tried with Leopard Assist more than once, start wondering if I am doing something wrong. I start running Leopard Assist, then choose the DVD optical unit option, insert the dvd and close all other programs. Problem is that when I restart the computer there is a white screen that welcomes me to open firmware and prompting me to type commands: mac-boot or shut-down. I type mac-boot and I am back right where I started, with Mac Os X 4.11 and the computer spitting out the dvd ! The strange thing is that when I check under "information on this Mac" it says that it no longer is a 800, but more than 900 Mhz, although I couldn't find the boot.txt file (the file that Leopard assist should use to trick the computer) when I searched in Finder. What is going on? How to fix it?
    I'd appreciate ANY suggestion, but I am not familiar with commands.

Francesca

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Leopard is on Double Layer DVD, and your drive is unable to read these (OFC if it's stock one). If you have another Mac and firewire cable, easiest way will be installation in target disk mode.

Link both Macs with firewire cable, boot this other one with T pressed on kbd (put in its DVD drive your Leo disc first). Hold T until you'll see yellow firewire sign floating on screen. Next boot your "sunflower" with alt/option pressed. You should see boot menu on iMac screen and select Leo DVD. Installation process should start now.

3. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I am fairly confident all DVD readers can read dual layer.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I think it's true for Superdrives but there was also Combo drive in 800s.
    I had one of these and it was spitting out DL discs too.

OP, if I am wrong and bizzle is right, other possibilities could be broken drive or bad (scratched, etc.) media.

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

This is kind of a petty observation but who ever refers to the G4 iMac as the "sunflower"? Heard that term once before but on this site and maybe it was the OP.

666sheep is right about early superdrives. It wasn't till the G5 era that all Macs came with DL capable (read or write) optical drives.

6. blurryfrancy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, mine is a combo, so that's the problem then: it cannot read the dual layer. I guess I will have to use my Macbook and try from there, thank you for replying. One more thing though, I still have the welcome to openfirware screen whenever I restart/switch on the computer...

Francesca

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I think it could be side effect of Leo Assistant (I prefer manual OF setting over Leo Assistant, so I'm not sure). Just reset PRAM after you'll manage to install 10.5 and your iMac should boot normally.

8. iMacC2D, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. blurryfrancy thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for replying, I tried the default 'on start up' and on the blue screen there was a hard disk icon and two arrows, one pointing forward and the other backward. The forward one simply rebooted the computer, and all the while the dvd kept being spit out. I give up on it, I'll just reset the pram, there is not much you can do if the dvd is not readable.

Thank you anyway, at least I learnt how to reset the PRAM (never needed that before), which apparently is a commun enough and handy skill.

Francesca

10. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Not true, eMac G4 and powermac G5 can read them - because I installed leopard on them......................................................................... You're losing your edge.

11. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Try to understand the language that started in the nation you live in. It was not till the G5 era that all Macs came with that capability.. meaning out of the factory. ie. every single Mac sold without BTO options had dual layer capability. Even late in the G4 era there were some systems without DL readability.

You're loosing your ability to understand simple language.