Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elbruelsio

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Will Leopard be written to work better with Intel Macs than Tiger? Are there any issues with Tiger and Intel Macs? Should I even be concerned?

I ask because I need a new computer and need it now. I'm sick of waiting and want to purchase a Mac this weekend. I'm not bleeding edge so I will probably use Tiger for a while after Leopard comes out and wait until some of the bugs are worked out. Until then I want the best experience I can get.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Apple have been running OS X on Intel from the start, so no there's no reason to believe Leopard will work particularly better on Intel machines. In my experience Tiger performs admirably on Intel machines.

In any case, you can always upgrade afterwards :)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Tiger On Intel Is Thought By Some To Be Substandard In Performance

Will Leopard be written to work better with Intel Macs than Tiger? Are there any issues with Tiger and Intel Macs? Should I even be concerned?

I ask because I need a new computer and need it now. I'm sick of waiting and want to purchase a Mac this weekend. I'm not bleeding edge so I will probably use Tiger for a while after Leopard comes out and wait until some of the bugs are worked out. Until then I want the best experience I can get.
I've read here some Intel Mac users think Tiger is slower than they expected and hope Leopard will run much better than Tiger on Intel Macs. I expect Leopard to be better on both platforms. There will be a full hardware refresh accompanying Leopard's release. You may be well served to wait for that round of Macs before you buy. Worst case you will be able to get a refurb of what's out now with Leopard and iLife '07 included. I think the next round of hardware improvements will be worth the wait. What model are you thinking of buying now?

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
That's the machine i have, sans the 256VRAM... it's muuuuuch faster than my 1.8GHz iMac G5. I have no qualms with tiger on intel. If you need a machine now, then you buy a machine now. It's as simple as that.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I've read here some Intel Mac users think Tiger is slower than they expected and hope Leopard will run much better than Tiger on Intel Macs. I expect Leopard to be better on both platforms. There will be a full hardware refresh accompanying Leopard's release. You may be well served to wait for that round of Macs before you buy. Worst case you will be able to get a refurb of what's out now with Leopard and iLife '07 included. I think the next round of hardware improvements will be worth the wait. What model are you thinking of buying now?

I have a large mix of PPC and Intel, all running Tiger (since its' initial release). No performance, or reliability issues. I will be happy if Leopard is as fast. I have read many of your posts, and know you are very knowledgeable. Most performance complaints I have read seem more to be application specific, and often due to Rosetta, or poorly crafted freeware. I do not benchmark, so I have no actual data. But, I can compare my G5 Quad with my Xeon Quad. The configuration is quite similar. The Xeon pretty much wins in all performance observations I have made. Reliability is about equal. I actually had my first OSX crash last weekend! I was sounding like a broken record for never having had a crash. So, now I am just one of the crowd.

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England

I have a mixture of G5 and Core Duo machines at work running Tiger 10.4.8 or 10.4.9. No issues that relate to the OS. I have a MacBook CD (not C2D) and it is the best portable I've ever used. All iterations of OS X have been faster than the previous version on current hardware as far as I can remember. If you need a Mac now, get one now and get Leopard when it comes out. You'll have the best experience that you can get. I am having no issues with any of the Macs in the office or at home. I've also upgraded to 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 immediately without issues, except for some printing wierdness back with 10.2 or 3 I think. That passed quickly. I expect to run 10.5 on my MacBook when it comes out and upgrade the office Macs after no major issues show up (probably right away).

I do have a few machines with only 512 MB RAM and the G5 runs fine (Safarai, Database software only) and the Core Solo Mini (Parallels running constantly) is slow as poop. So up the RAM to 1-2 GB to make yourself happy.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Currently I own 2 iMac Core 2 Duos and have recently sold a Mac mini Core Duo and a MacBook Pro Core Duo, and I have to say I haven't had a single issue with the OS running on Intel. For me it has been just as stable as OS X on a PPC machine. The only real difference is the Intel machines are much much much faster than the PPC machines they replaced.

Tiger on Intel it's great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.