Leopard Boot Camp Partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chriswg, Oct 27, 2007.

1. chriswg macrumors member

Has anybody else noticed that their Windows Partition shows up on the Leopard desktop when your finder preferences are set to show "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" on the desktop. I have the preference for showing hard drives turned off in the preferences (see picture). It wasn't like this in Tiger, so I'm just curious to see if it is normal in Leopard or if I have some sort of issue. I'd really appreciate a quick response from anyone because I asked a couple of times in another thread, but I think the question got lost in all the discussion. Everything else about the installation and Leopard is running perfectly.

Thanks everyone.

So am I the only having this problem? I'm kind of new to this, so I'm not sure what to do. If it's not normal, then I will probably try a reinstall to see if that fixes it. Please...somebody...respond...

Attached Files:

2. nsjfoster macrumors newbie

10.4 had this

I have a MacBook that I have installed Leopard on but don't use BootCamp so can't address this question.
    However, I have an iMac that I'll install later. It has BootCamp. And it shows the C: drive on the desktop for a Vista install. So I'm not sure this arrived with Leopard. I didn't notice it till yesterday but it's not Leopard related.

I'm not sure if it is dangerous or not (ie to delete files or something) but we may get some more guidance from someone else.

I'll install Leopard on the iMac later this week so can see then what happens.

3. chriswg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the reply; I was beginning to think everyone was avoiding me on purpose.

That is very strange because I also have a Vista install, but Tiger always recognized it as a hard drive. Now Leopard seems to be recognizing it as a "CD, DVD, or iPod." Did Finder maybe have different Preference options in Tiger? Is your Windows partition NTFS or FAT32? I wonder if that has something to do with it. Mine is NTFS, so maybe Leopard considers that a "CD, DVD, or iPod?" It just doesn't make sense to me, so that's why I'm concerned.

4. matt321 macrumors member

I experience the same thing. I have a vista NTFS partition and when I uncheck that box, the bootcamp disk disappears from the desktop.

5. chriswg thread starter macrumors member

@ matt321 -- Thanks so much for the confirmation of this situation. Now I don't have to do a reinstall!

I just wonder if this is by design or if it is a bug...

6. wjanoch macrumors newbie

Sounds like a BootCamp Bug (mild)

@chriswg

Clearly a partition on the hard drive is not a CD, DVD, or iPod... except that an iPod is an external HDD. Even still, I doubt they want to seriously associate iPods with Vista directly.

It'd make more sense to end users if they made the "External disks" control that, or add an entirely new check box for "Boot Camp disks".

This sounds like Windows in Parallels, not Boot Camp. Parallels 3.0 added the "feature" of automatically mounting the Windows drives when a Windows session is open. It also added another tool called "Parallels Explorer" which allows you to browse the contents of Parallels Disk Images without having to boot Windows.

Wm

7. dpfenninger macrumors regular

Any updates on this? I just converted my Boot Camp partition today from FAT32 to NTFS, and suddenly the Windows hard drive is showing up on my Mac desktop...also being recognized as a "CD, DVD, or iPod."

I've got to think this is a bug. Anyone have a solution?

8. Amigalander macrumors regular

Rename the NTFS partition (in Windows) to start with a period. Then it will be hidden on the Mac.

9. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Hey guys, didn't want to make a new thread on this so I decided I'd super bump this post :p

The problem has been fixed in the 10.5.3, you can now uncheck "Hard disks" and both the Macintosh HD and Windows HD won't show anymore :D

10. phenixbleu macrumors member

The Bug still remains

After I tested 10.5.3 The bug still remains. If the boot camp drive is partitioned as FAT32 it will be recognized as a hard drive. If NTFS then CD,ipod. Its a format thing. I have reported it to apple and it seems that they are getting closer to fixing it. Just to make sure, report it again to apple.

11. bconeill macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Apple has provided a fix or workaround to this, yet?

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It had never happened to me, and does not happen in 10.5.7, so I assume it was fixed a year ago in 10.5.4.

13. bconeill macrumors newbie

I installed Bootcamp about a week ago and have still had the problem. Did you install in NTFS or FAT32?