leopard bootcamp raid 0?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aiongiant, Oct 26, 2007.

1. aiongiant macrumors 6502a

i have raid 0 for osx right now and want to raid 0 2 other hdds for windows
    is it possible for leopard bootcamp now?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

No because the RAID is done in software and Windows is not aware of the Mac software that creates the RAID. You need hardware RAID to do this.

3. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

I would wait now with the transformation.
    There are lot of talka about the incompabilities in tigers and leopards software raids atm.
    Something about the tigers sr 3.6.4 not being recongized by leopards,3.6.5. The 3.6.6 is rumored to release in the next few weeks.

Dont know if then the problem will be solved? I mean, if your softwareraid version is higher than on the leopards installation disk,will that cause conflicts?

4. KevinPlusPlus macrumors member

Can anyone confirm for sure if the hardware RAID that is available for the Mac Pro works in Windows?

5. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

In theory it should work so long as the Apple is taking advantage of Matrix RAID (part of the ICH). If they are it will be independent of Disk Utility's software RAID. If they're using Disk Utility to make the RAID and then fudging things in EFI (I'd think that this would be doing things the hard way) then Silent Panda is correct. Assuming it's using Matrix RAID, once it's configured, all that is required is installing a driver at startup (through the usual method of a Floppy or Keydrive in Vista or slipstreaming it in should XP work). I'm not sure how Bootcamp would affect all of this though.