Leopard booted in a PowerPC emulator (QEMU)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LightBulbFun, Aug 13, 2015.

1. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Hey this is something i have been trying to do for a while now... it was a given rule that no PowerPC emulated (QEMU PearPC etc) could boot leopard now the Problem is that PearPC and qemu emulated Grackle machines witch leopard will panic on so I followed the guide for getting leopard on a G3 beige and after some poking with the kexts (its a PITA to get kexts to register and load LOL) I got Leopard 10.5.4 to boot in QEMU to the desktop :D (QEMU does emulated a Sawtooth but it has a bug where OS X cant see the HDD controller properly) (I have leopard on a USB stick and I just point qemu to that to use as my HDD) here is my qemu settings:
    sudo qemu-system-ppc -M g3beige -m 512 -hda /dev/disk3 -prom-env boot-args="-v" -cpu 7400 -g 1024x768x32
    upload_2015-8-13_13-28-0.png
    I hope you find this interesting I Dont think any one else has been able to boot leopard in a PPC emulator before (its also proof that leopard will run on a real G3 beige heh)

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

What is the host machine and what's performance like?

3. LightBulbFun thread starter macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

upload_2015-8-13_13-47-59.png
    this is the host machine... (its a hackintosh) performance in the emulated machine is quite slow... (but at the same time the CPU utilisation in the host isn't much) I would peg it around about leopard on a 450Mhz G4 or so in speed (I think this would also work for pearpc and currently pearpc is faster irc) the HDD throughput in qemu is also quite slow so that hits leopard some what

4. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Interesting! So you can peg the virtual CPU but the native CPU doesn't? That would imply that something is limiting it, right?

5. LightBulbFun thread starter macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I was thinking that... i'm going to run Geekbench on it in a mo see what score i get heh

6. LightBulbFun thread starter macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

upload_2015-8-13_15-3-30.png
    I think if this was the speed of a 450Mhz G4 it would of finished by now LOL

7. LightBulbFun thread starter macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've seen much worse Geekbench scores on systems that actually ran Leopard relatively well(or at least with optimization).

That's certainly an interesting result.

9. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

When LightBulbFan gets a lightbulb over his head, watch out, strange things happen! lol

Nice frankenstein work you did.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler