Leopard boots different than tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hdsalinas, Dec 11, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi

I upgraded my MBP to Leopard and while I did notice an increase in performance starting up my mac seems slower.

I always loved how fast tiger booted up bit Leopard was a bit different. In tiger after the gray screen I used to get a Mac starting up progress bar" that filled very quickly. then the desktop would load. In Leopard after the greay boot screen I get a blue screen and afer a short (but longer that tiger) while the desktop would load. I dont get a "progress bar".

It seems to take longer to shutdown too. Is this an issue with my particular install or this is the way that leopards works?

2. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

What kind of install did you do with Leopard? Clean install or upgrade?

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I noticed the same thing. I did an archive and install of Leopard on my MacBook.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here, FWIW. Erase and install followed by Migration Assistant pulling my stuff back from backup on an external drive.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Tiger booted a lot faster than Leopard and the progress bar is missed, even though it filled too fast to really notice it anyway.

6. f1 macrumors 6502

i also did an erase and install and moved everything from my tiger system through migration assistant from my external HDD. My Boot times are MUCH faster in Leopard than in Tiger.

7. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I did a clean install.

I miss the old start up progress bar.

It made OSX look really fast to Windows users. People commented "wow, that was a fast boot".

Now sence you dont see anything until the desktop appears it gives the impression that it is actually slower. It may take up the same time but it looks slower.

8. Dany M macrumors 6502

I upgraded and i dont get the bar and yeah t kinda sucks but meh

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You don't get the start up bar as apple took it out.

Leopard is faster at booting, and it may seem slower to boot because you don't have that bar but surely the speed at which you get to a working desktop is what it is actually about and they can see how fast it boots.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The progressive bar is fake. It doesn't actually tell you how the OS is progressing in it's booting. It's just a predetermined progression. The OS usually boots up before the "animation" is done, hence the frequently-incomplete progression before the desktop shows up.

It's worthless, and serves no purpose. I'm glad Apple took it out.