Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
This is a different kind of thread, instead of a problem or complaint... I just wanted to say my system is so fast, solid and stable that I want to gloat but I won't :D

Last edited:
Reactions: jbarley

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Same! :D

grab1.jpg

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
192 MB of RAM on Tiger. 256 MB on Leopard. Nice.

@eyoungren gave me his PM6500, and I've spent two days sorting the RAM to get it up to 128mb(max). The old EDO/FPM modules for pre-G3 Powermacs is a serious pain, and it can be difficult to get sticks that play "nice" together(I've been fighting with that on my PM8600).

In any case, @LightBulbFun wrote a modified Tiger kernel that I've been able to successfully run on a 200mhz 604E. He tells me that it SHOULD also run on a 603e, so with the RAM now sorted(Tiger needs a minimum of 96mb, and it came to me with 64mb) I should be able to boot it into Tiger. It's not going to be pretty, as I'll need to run the Tiger HDD off an ATA card.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@eyoungren gave me his PM6500, and I've spent two days sorting the RAM to get it up to 128mb(max). The old EDO/FPM modules for pre-G3 Powermacs is a serious pain, and it can be difficult to get sticks that play "nice" together(I've been fighting with that on my PM8600).
Should I assume then that aside from the plastic bit you found in the box, the PM survived the trip, boots and runs? And there are no problems?

I hope so!
[doublepost=1455326582][/doublepost]Leopard. BlackMac OS X and Black Gloss dock - which I run on all my Leopard Macs.

Finder.png Finder 2.png Finder 3.png

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Should I assume then that aside from the plastic bit you found in the box, the PM survived the trip, boots and runs? And there are no problems?

I hope so!

Oh yes, absolutely. The broken piece of plastic was one of the "tabs" that you pull on to remove the logic board tray. Amazingly enough, in my numerous incursions, I haven't broken any more plastic, although I have yet to remove the front or side.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Oh yes, absolutely. The broken piece of plastic was one of the "tabs" that you pull on to remove the logic board tray. Amazingly enough, in my numerous incursions, I haven't broken any more plastic, although I have yet to remove the front or side.
Cool, glad it's working then!

OK, you shouldn't have any other problems. I will attribute this to the stress of shipping. That Mac has been moved around a lot since I got it in 2003 and I've never broken any plastic on it.

It's a pretty easy Mac to work in.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I see you have "youView" in your Dock, mine has quit working and I've had no luck in finding a fix.
I haven't been able to get any videos to play using the latest version of YouView on Mac OS X Leopard, and had to revert to 0.5.1. I submitted a bug report several months ago, and I'm starting to wonder if the developer has abandoned it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Getting some work done on the Quicksilver this evening on the Quicksilver. I'm playing with my new "toy"-a Nikon Coolscan V-and going through some old negatives in the process.

Unfortunately, I'm actually finding myself a bit bottlenecked by the QS and its low RAM ceiling. To work with a 4000x4000 dpi scan(of a 24x36mm negative or slide) Vuescan really feels handicapped with the 1gb of RAM of RAM I've allocated it. Combining 3 standard scan passes+an IR pass takes a lot of worK, and I'm also leaving Photoshop and Lightroom to fight over the other 500mb of RAM. Fortunately the IR clean is "agressive" enough on the Cooolscan that I'm not left with a lot of Photoshop work once I've finished scanning. If I can get a SCSI card working in a G5(to support my other slide scanner that can do some things the Coolscan can't) I'm going to transition all my scanning work over to a dual 2.7. The minimum system requirements for the Nikon software(not Vuescan, which is better than the Nikon software) is a G3 running OS 9 with 64mb of RAM. I'm tempted-in a masochistic sort of way-to take the Bondi iMac I just bought down to 64mb and see how terrible it is on there.

BTW, I really wish that the guy who I got the scanner from could find the slide carrier. The negative auto-feeder is really slick and works great, but most of my photos I care about are on slides. Now that I have this, I'll probably start getting my 35mm unmounted-I'm no stranger to it since no one even mounts medium format anymore. The strip feeder would make handing uncut 35mm transparencies easy and I rarely(i.e. never) project them. I'm just so used to handling mounted 35mm transparencies that it would be a big change for me :)

All that aside, here it is for now.

Picture 7.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.