Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
Skype me!

Try as I might I could never get iChat to work, whereas Skype works fine ...err straight out the download image!

See alot of people in forums with similar problems and the AppleCare boys are no help!

Let's hope they get the basics right and maybe the fancy stuff can be - Pro!

JonDann

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Tell us something we don't know!

Scraping the barrel after the Leopard delay and no news in forever! This was at MWSF 2006!

But still, easy to implement in an app. But you try doing it on an older model, my iMac G4 1GHz is pretty, but probably won't handle the realtime H.264 encoding it needs. Its getting to the end of its life in terms of 'can handle the new stuff that gets thrown at it'.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
If your friends aren't using Leopard, then they really aren't your friends ;)
:)

Well put. :D

Why is this necessary? it is only a video transmission. Surely the other end could be AOL, or whatever additional standards apple chooses to add (please be skype!).
I could understand the need to have leopard and ichat if it was the feature that will allow remote control of the client mac through ichat, but not for the video feed.

Good point. I have noticed that for straight video or voice chat you don't need the other person to be on iChat. However that's only been for the one2one.

I haven't seen a situation where I could do the multi-person video chat and could be wrong. My assumption was that a similar unique feature like that would be limited to only iChat users, and only Leopard users at that.

Note that everyone has to have Tiger to multi-video chat....

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Interesting...
If Adobe adds iChat Theatre support in Lightroom, I will be a happiest camper. Somehow, however, I doubt that this will happen.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
I cant believe nobody has said anything about the :apple: tv. This feature must be worked into it somehow. You can have an :apple: tv in the confrence room and everyone can just sync their mac to it for their presentation. Does this not make senese?
Well, those other 2 said it made no sense, but I think it's a useful feature.

Technically it wouldn't be syncing - but the ability to display your slideshow or quicktime presentation (or even your whole desktop) directly on an Apple TV would be useful for some people. You'd basically be treating the AppleTV as an external monitor.

I'm really not sure if this is an "iChat theatre" application or something else though. Just being able to bring your laptop out and show friends whatever by clicking "show on AppleTV" is good though.

Anyway, perhaps for business presentations that's not enough to warrant buying an AppleTV instead of just plugging your laptop into the projector. Add synchornisation of quicktimes & keynotes to the AppleTV and the usefulness expands.

MacBram

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Zeeland, Nederland
oh come on this is poor. We already knew about this it was in a keynote!

At MWSF we knew you could present iPhoto, QuickTime, Keynote; but this is implying there is support for developers to make it so they can present all their apps inside iChat too, with the presenter's face in the corner. Maybe that is the news.

JonDann

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2006
Birmingham, UK
At MWSF we knew you could present iPhoto, QuickTime, Keynote; but this is implying there is support for developers to make it so they can present all their apps inside iChat too, with the presenter's face in the corner. Maybe that is the news.

It's not the Stevenote we're referring to. The developer sessions had a whole session on how the API for iChat Theatre is public. :apple: told devs to get going on it.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Get ichat to work cross platform and they got something. I dont need this cinema to chat with mac pals. Nice to actually use ichat video with a PC user for once!

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
I'm sure Apple has already thought of this, but...

This is the killer App for distance education.

I podcast all my lectures, and students love it, but if they could 'attend' without having to drag their lazy butts out of bed, they'd be even happier. And if they can do that, why take courses from you're local college or university, when you can just as easily take the courses from the best professors at the best universities in the world? The only limitation will be student evaluation.

I foresee a big change in the way large-enrollment undergraduate courses are offered as these technologies mature.

Cheers.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
This is the killer App for distance education.

I podcast all my lectures, and students love it, but if they could 'attend' without having to drag their lazy butts out of bed, they'd be even happier. And if they can do that, why take courses from you're local college or university, when you can just as easily take the courses from the best professors at the best universities in the world? The only limitation will be student evaluation.

I foresee a big change in the way large-enrollment undergraduate courses are offered as these technologies mature.

Cheers.

I am not a student anymore but if I were I'd be all over this. Especially the lazy butt and the bed part. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.