Leopard broke PS Elements 2, Alternatives?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by email68, Oct 26, 2007.

1. email68 macrumors regular

Leopard broke Photoshop Elements 2.0, I guess because it does not do the Classic mode?

What is a good alternative that will work in Leopard?

Even if its a newer version of PS Elements, thats ok. I'm good with it and would rather use it.

I do not need the full blown CS3 stuff.

Thanks

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

3. The Man macrumors 6502

How exactly did it brake it? Photoshop Elements 2.0 is a Carbon app, which means it runs native in Mac OS X. It doesn't need the Classic environment.

4. email68 thread starter macrumors regular

It worked fine in Tiger then after installing Leopard I ran it and it came up with this.

I'd love to get it work again. Any ideas are appreciate it.

Attached Files:

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I definitely can vouch for it, have a go with the trial...

6. bloodycape macrumors 65816

7. The Man macrumors 6502

Yes, try reinstalling. I also use PS Elements 2. I was planning to upgrade to Leopard and already was afraid that some apps might brake. I still use some older apps, like Creature House Expression, Canvas 8, Painter 9. Please try to reinstall the app from disc. I'm anxiously awaiting the result.

8. email68 thread starter macrumors regular

Still no go

I tried reinstalling and get the same error.

Bummer.... any ideas are welcome...

9. The Man macrumors 6502

Just a few suggestions:

Maybe try to remove the preference file com.adobe.Photoshop.Elements.plist

And further, if that doesn't do it, move the Plug-Ins folder out of the the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 folder. Maybe there are some plug-ins causing the error. So this will start PS Elements without plug-ins.

EDIT: More preference files are located at Home/Library/Preferences/Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs/. So maybe also move this folder out of the Preferences folder. Just move them to your desktop.

10. email68 thread starter macrumors regular

Just a quick update.

I tried all the above suggestions and still a no go.

Is there an Elements available that will work in Leopard?

BTW I did download Pixelmator and I'm checking it out.

11. The Man macrumors 6502

Bummer. There goes my plan to upgrade. I now have to really think about it. I just depend too much on a few old apps. Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac will not be released until early 2008. The Windows version 6 is already available :mad: .

12. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Uhh.. you could get PS CS3 but that's expensive. Try the pixelmator demo. It's $60 for the full version.

13. anemone macrumors member

Me too. I'm a new switcher who used PE 2 on my old PC, so I installed it on my new iMac when I switched while waiting for PE 6 for Mac. I need to have something that will allow me to read PSD files, work with layers, etc. before I can think of upgrading to Leopard. Is Gimpshop Leopard compatible? I might have to give that a try along with Pixelmator if they are compatible, but I don't want to buy Pixelmator w/ PE 6 coming.

I guess I could always reinstall PE 2 on my old PC (now my son's computer) and boot that up whenever I need to do Photoshop work, but I'm not sure how long I could tolerate that.

Does PE 4 work with Leopard? I would upgrade to PE 4 now if only Adobe would let new buyers upgrade for free when PE 6 comes out. Wait, I just found Adobe's Leopard Support PDF, it says "Photoshop Elements 4.0 and earlier ...Likely to encounter issues for which there is no resolution."

Bummer. Perhaps I can bridge the gap with free trials of Pixelmator, PS CS3, etc.

14. MacBiscuit macrumors member

Is nobody else hacked off about this? I've upgraded through 10.2 - 10.3 and 10.4 with hardly any issues - but I don't expect the current version of a key piece of software for many people to be broken by a OS update. Don't know whether to be more annoyed with Apple or Adobe. Glad I bought my machine last week so I still have the choice of 10.4 or 10.5...

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I remember a problem with Photoshop Elements and some versions of Opera: strangely enough I found that removing any Opera preferences from the ~/Library/Preferences folder fixed it. Could be this or something similar here I guess?

16. jdylan macrumors regular

jdylan

It gently applied pressure to the brakes?

Who knew; "The Man" can't spell. Shouldn't you be using a Windows machine?:confused:

The grammar nazi says: Break not Brake.

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I can tell you that I have the full version of Photoshop 7, and it doesn't work on Leopard either - same type of error. Only option was to upgrade to Photoshop CS3 for $199 (ouch).

Even worse, they force you to activate the software, so you can only load it on two machines. I have always loaded it on my kids machines too, even though only one of them could be in at a time.

I am thinking about moving the kids to PS Elements 4.0, but I haven't been able to find anything that says is actually works. I thought I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it now...

Adobe of course says it probably won't work, but they say that about Photoshop CS and I have heard that works just fine...

18. shamino macrumors 68040

shamino

I've read one report (on another site) about a person successfully running Elements 4 on Leopard, but he didn't post any details and I haven't seen any corroborating reports.

Adobe's Leopard FAQ says that Elements version 4 and below are "Likely to encounter issues for which there is no resolution." From what I've been able to piece together, Adobe's official recommendation is to upgrade to version 6, which won't ship until some time next year.

For me, if I can't get my existing copy of Elements 3 to work by the time I'm ready to install Leopard (I'm waiting for LaserSoft to update their SilverFast scanner software first), I'm going to switch over to Graphic Converter. It's not as full-featured, but it supports Photoshop plugins, so it'll integrate with SilverFast for scanning, which is the most important feature I use Elements with.

19. kirstie1978 macrumors newbie

I've just upgraded to Leopard and had no idea... likewise i'm not impressed but sadly what can we do?!

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To the OP, have you bothered trying to call Adobe with your issue? People can be pissed off all they want about this but bitching about it to everyone other than the creators of the software themselves seems almost pointless. Asking for help is certainly one thing, giving up and being "hacked off" about it is another. Save your cash and see if Adobe can offer a fix.

21. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Adobe doesn't care. They've been short on care for non-pro mac users for a long time now. They'll tell you to upgrade to the new version of elements that they haven't released yet.

I also put in a good word for Pixelmator.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suspect they moved people over from the elements for Mac team to get proper photoshop ready for the Intel Macs. Now thats done they'll be putting effort into Photoshop Elements.

23. anemone macrumors member

I went ahead and upgraded

I decided to upgrade to Leopard anyway yesterday (went very smoothly, BTW) and to remove PSE2 and reinstall it on my old PC.

While waiting for a new PSE, I will manage by waiting until I really need to do something with a PSD file/layers, etc., then I'll try free trials (one at a time until they run out) of Pixelmator, Acorn, the full version of Photoshop, etc. For minor stuff, like adjusting color/size/resolution of images, I can get by with Preview. I still have the reinstall of PSE2 on my old PC if I really need it, too.

I also still have my bootable Tiger clone on an external drive that I made before my Leopard upgrade. I guess I could still boot to that if I need to, though I really want to partition that drive and use it for Time Machine. Could I install Tiger on a partition on the external drive and put just PSE2 on it?

24. landman36 macrumors newbie

PhotoShop Elements 6 won't install on Leopard for me

Leopard took me out of Elements 2.0, so I broke down and ordered Elements 6 in Nov. '08. Since then, I've tried at least 15 times to install it, first on my Intel Core Duo iMac and more recently on a new Intel Core 2 Duo iMac and it won't install. Over 10 hours have been spent talking with Adobe tech reps in Bombay and Portland trying to do a Clean Install, installing in root mode, setting up new accounts, removing the FlexNet Publisher files, removing all Preference files with Adobe in them. The only thing that was accomplished is my PhotoShop CS, InDesign CS, Acrobat 5.x and Acrobat Reader all had to be reinstalled once these steps were taken. In trying to reinstall, Acrobat 5.x won't install on Leopard so that is now gone, too.

The problem lies in the installation installs the component files, but not the PSE program. Also had Amazon replace the DVD in this process.

This is terribly frustrating and makes buying any more Adobe products not justifiable.