Leopard bug? After a while apps don't open

Discussion in 'macOS' started by big_malk, Nov 2, 2007.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I've had a bug since I upgraded to Leopard, everything works fine for a while, but suddenly I can't open apps anymore, or shut down.
    I've opened and closed many programs today, but I tried to open address book from a spotlight search and the dock icon just bounced and bounced, I right clicked to force quit and nothing happened, I force quit about 10 times, after a while the icon stopped bouncing but was still unresponsive (no windows open, no blue dot under it).
    I tried opening terminal to try to force quit it, but same thing happens with terminal, and every other app that isn't already running. (Apps that are already open all work fine, unless I quit them they won't open again).
    I can't shut down, when I chose it from the apple menu, I get the spinning beach ball for a while, then nothings happens. Soon I'm going to have to press and hold the power button to shut down, I can't see any other way out of this.

Anyone else had this?

2. teekayx macrumors newbie

3. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think the two issues are related. My windows don't disappear into spaces, the apps simply don't open.

4. boogieman macrumors regular

Got the same problem and dont know what to do. I have posted a topic here and no one seems to know and now I see yours. I also posted in the apple forums and nothing.

5. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

I remember that happening in Tiger when Finder would crap out when a network drive was disconnected improperly or some other network issue (to quote Jobs: "and the Finder would send out a search party to look for [a network drive]"), but since Leopard, that shouldn't happen anymore

6. dawnconn macrumors newbie

This is happening to me too.

Last week I turned on my G4 and just got the apple on a grey screen, so I reinstalled Leopard (It was on the computer before that and everything was OK).

Now Quark 7 won't open, nor will Photoshop CS or Illustrator CS (but InDesign CS is OK) Toaster 6 is toast too, and I can't open my Disk Utility. I can open Text Edit but have to force quit to get out of it. That's as far as I've got checking apps - but I'm sure there will be more.

7. dawnconn macrumors newbie

I fixed my problem by doing a clean reinstall and then repaired Permissions for good luck and Verified the hard drive and now I can open up my apps.
    Yee Haa!