Leopard bug for MBP keyboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Daveway, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I have Leopard installed on my SR MBP and have run into some problems.
    The Keyboard.

The built in keyboard will at times cease to work randomly. It won't respond, no lights, nothing, even during startup. Shortly after the track pad will follow suit.
    It seems like there may be a bug in the driver. This problem is only solved by resetting the PRAM (which means you have to have an external keyboard) or the keyboard will come back to life randomly after tapping keys repeatedly.
    I was completely locked out of my computer because bluetooth would not initialize at the login screen.
    I tried for about 30 mins to get my bluetooth keyboard to finally be recognized during setup so I could reset the PRAM.

2. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

3. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Weird. I'm running a SR MBP as well (15.4", 2.2ghz) with no issues in Leopard. Hopefully it's nothing something that will start happening down the road... It's been good since Oct 25th though.

4. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Same no issues here either

5. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've tried multiple operating systems now to no avail. Both keyboard and trackpad are dead.
    However, the keyboard backlight will still come on if I tell it to. Neither show up in system profiler, so obviously this must be hardware.

The bower button still works as does bluetooth. So its not the connection to the motherboard as they all go down the same ribbon.

I'm bringing it in to my local service center tomorrow to see if I can get the keyboard and trackpad swapped out. But will I be denied service since I have a dent in the corner of my laptop? Its had the dent for a while after I dropped it.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I've posted this in the other threads. This is a Leopard problem but I don't believe it is limited to MBP. My MBP does it, my friends MacBook does it and I've read some others on here with PowerMacs and such with the same problems.

jon

7. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

Interesting indeed. I hope they patch it soon. But what would explain the keyboard failing to work with other operating systems? Does Leopard make changes to the firmware?

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I don't know about that. All I know is that this problem was created after I installed Leopard. This problem never happened in Tiger.

I decided to to zap my PRAM, so far so good. I will report back if the problems seem to go away.

jon