Leopard bugs I've noticed (after about 4 hours)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Steven Jackson, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Erase and install. Just Leopard, iLife '08 and iWork '08 installed. No 3rd party apps. No intensive usage, just setting preferences and checking stuff out...

I suppose they're not all bugs, but some are...

-- System Preferences > Software Update... option to check daily and not download in the background won't stick. Just reverts to check weekly and download in background.

-- System Preferneces > Accounts... when setting apps to automatically launch at login, the Hide option still doesn't work (since Panther, I believe).

-- Disk Utility... what's up with the repair permissions function? Slow, or what?

-- DVD Player > Preferences... why are these inconsistent with the preference panes in other programs. 'Done' button? Why?

-- Mail sometimes fails to quit. Happened 4 times so far.

-- Fast User Switching a bit wonky. Sometimes doesn't display the title bar of the account you're going to.

More as I find them...

Steve.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

This is cause for concern, because many bugs that people submitted about Tiger have been sent generic replies that "Engineering has determined that these issues have been fixed in Leopard"

Now we're finding more loose wires? It sounds like someone wasn't willing to hire more programmers.

4. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

How do you submit bugs to Apple? I know that if a program crashes, the option to report to Apple is there, but what if it's a bug like the ones the OP listed?

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? The reason I ask is that all that list seems to work on my Leopard install (clean build) absolutely fine. Obviously the DVD preferences are the same as yours but I'd debate whether that's a bug or a design inconsistency.
    Hidden startup items have always worked fine for me on my Mac Pro and continue to do so

Edit: Sorry, just noticed you did an erase and install, which makes things even stranger!

6. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

7. joseph2166 macrumors 6502

Course there are going to be loose wires - its an operating system!

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Exactly.

This has only been sent for some bugs, some of the bugs I've submitted have had this message but not others. The bugs that have had this message sent have been fixed.

9. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Hide startup items has never worked for me, despite multiple erase and installs on a powerbook, iBook and now, iMac. How should this feature work? I'm expecting the app to open but not be visible (as if I'd clicked the red 'close' button). Is this right?

Steve

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, that's how it works for me. I guess it depends on the app, but I've got it currently setup for Yojimbo and a couple of networked mounts

12. rockabilly macrumors newbie

Can confirm that this is not working BUT there's a workaround i found. If you click the 'Check Now' button after changing the settings they seem to stick. At least they did for me

lukas

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No, but you can use the feedback form.

14. cookieme macrumors regular

I've noticed that if you active FileVault, the Finder does not remember your view options for folders. Anyone else have this problem?

15. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I heard that the finder doesn't remember it regardless of filevault being active or not (at least automatically like tiger does, you have to set it manually apparently; cannot confirm this though-I'm still on tiger)...
    can't remember where I have read it though...

16. cookieme macrumors regular

No worked perfect before I turned on FileVault

17. siren77 macrumors member

I was checking out Leopard at an Apple store and I came across that problem twice. Had to force quit Mail both times.

18. JessieJ macrumors newbie

Fresh install, no auto-Migration.

- Finder won't remember folder's view settings; change one, they all follow

- After a restart, finder opens folder aliases on desktop in two fast double-zooms (though it only opens it once), not remembering last location, size, view options -- close and reopen and then it's fine

- Disk Utility seems slow

Btw, prior to this i simply upgraded and was left with a very buggy, sometimes sluggish OS. Much improved!

19. nkindsva macrumors newbie

Help!

Hey everyone, I need any advice you guys can offer. My mac has gone haywire since I installed Leopard. My iPhoto especially does not work. None of my photos were where they were before the install and I had to reimport them. But when I reimported them iPhoto royally messed everything up. A lof of my pictures didn't load at all and I got blank images for pictues. And when I click on a thumbnail of a photo that did import, it comes up for a second but then it goes black so I'm looking at nothing. Also, when I import pictues, then close out of iPhoto, restart my computer, and go back into iPhoto, none of my imported photos are there! Nothing! No events, no photo, nothing even under last import. I am beyond frustrated with this. And I wish my applications would quit asking me for my keychain password (I had a password longer than 8 characters, had to install the update, and run Keychain First Aid). Lastly, my mail no longer works with my gmail account fully. It can't find new mail, but it can send mail. I am so perplexed by all of this. Does anyone have any ideas or similar problems?

20. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not quite. It should open and be hidden as if you went to the application menu and clicked on "Hide [program]". In other words, the window's open, but not visible.

You might simply consider putting those programs you don't want to see in a space that you otherwise don't use, so they're again open, but not visible.

jW

21. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I had this problem in the Apple store this weekend,.. I tried out 5 machines and I had to force quit mail in each machine.

22. JessieJ macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, and now twice after waking up, the screen stays black and the keyboard and mouse aren't functioning. Then after a few seconds it sounds like all of the G5's fans kick on. It stays in this nutty state until i hold down power on the tower until it restarts.

23. neski macrumors member

sounds like u all have had some bad luck. i did a upgrade and everything works fine for me. Mail has no problems not once. the only thing is that InDesign CS3 does not work. it gets this error and then crashes. but i dont use it that much so i dont really care.
    also Finder does remember folder view settings. on mine it does. everything else works fine. also nothing is slow what are u people on about. everything seems faster.