Leopard can NOT get on a wep-hex network..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robjrussell, Jan 9, 2008.

1. robjrussell macrumors member

so, now that I've returned to work and a new apartment (both with wep-hex password protected internet networks) I have been largely unable to connect.

the problem is that whenever i put in wep-hex leopard automatically changes it back to wep. every time.

the only time i've been able to connect is each time inputting everything manually. (ip address, etc.)

anyone know of a fix?
    rob

2. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

In terms of the IP and stuff; have you checked whether the DHCP server on the router is set? I mean you're running security as ******** as WEP, you have bound to be hacked.

Why don't people use their brains? still using WEP - there is a reason why people don't recommend it!

3. robjrussell thread starter macrumors member

well, I'm not the administrator of either of these.. just a user.
    what do you mean the dhcp server being set?

should i recommend to my i.t. guys to change the security settings?

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

The DHCP should be setup in the router itself; I'm assuming that you don't have access to the router (or own the router).

If it is administrated, it is terrible security on their part to use something with a hack time of less than 30 seconds - in terms of gaining access to the network.

If I was a user on that wireless network I definitely would be worried as to the competency of the administrator in charge.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Before you go blaming the administrator for everything, there are still valid reasons for using WEP. I'm using WEP at home because my brother's laptop has no WPA support. It's possible that there are WEP-only devices on that network too.

6. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

And what operating system, may I ask, is he running?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

XP Pro with SP2, although I don't see how that's relevant; it's a hardware limitation in the ancient Wi-Fi chipset.

Just to clarify: The system can connect to WPA when using a newer card, so I know that the software's all there. However, that card is now dead and he's back on the old WPA card.

8. karankar macrumors newbie

Instead of complaining about why people use wep, does anyone know the solution or a possible work around for this problem? Is it a bug in leopard? Is there some way to report this bug to them. Because nothing crashes, so you can't send a report, but i think its still some fault in the network settings app. I tried it out by resetting my security settings on my router to wep hex. It didn't let me log in. Even with the dhcp server set up. I had to boot into xp, log in, reset my security settings to wpa and boot back into leopard to use the wireless.

9. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

This is probably no help to you, but I use WEP at my house with leopard with no problems.

Why do I use WEP? pretty much laziness and I live so far out in the boonies, getting hacked is not too big a concern.

10. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Not sure if this helps but to join a wireless network at work with my iPhone I had to put a $ in front of the key. Can't remember the specifics but easy enough to try.

11. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Hex key on wep

You can pub a "0x" in front of a hex key. Leopard then understands the following string is a hex value.

12. karankar macrumors newbie