Leopard "Cannot install software on this computer"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by durrell, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durrell macrumors newbie

My friend just bought a new Santa Rosa based MacBook with the 2.2ghz C2D. I have a white MacBook which I just bought in September, but it's non-Santa Rosa. His came with Leopard, mine didn't. So he burned me a copy of Leopard, which to my dismay, doesn't work on my computer. I get a "Software cannot be installed on this computer" error. I'm not sure why.

I have searched Google high and low, I have tried searching several forums, and I can't seem to find why this is happening. I tried following the "unsupported Macs" how-to, but when I got to the point about editing the "Distrubution" file, there was nothing in that file.

So I figured I'd ask here just to see if:

A.) Anyone can explain to me why the Leopard discs won't work on my MacBook. Is there a difference in Santa Rosa discs and regular discs?
    B.) Has anyone else had this issue and is there a way around it?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or if it has been asked before, but I'm at my wits end with this stupid mess and really just want to know WHY more than anything.

Thanks!

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Probably because you should have bought your own copy of Leopard? :rolleyes:

Besides his version would only be suitable for installation on his hardware…

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Is it a retail version of Leopard? If it is the restore DVD from his MacBook, it will only work with his MacBook. Either way it's illegal.

5. durrell thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for that awesome helpful reply!

I realize I wouldn't be dealing with this if I had bought it, but some of us don't have the 150 bucks to go out and buy it. :)

Edit: It's the DVD's that came with his MacBook, so I'm not sure..which would they be? I would assume the latter so that would probably explain it. :(

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, start a piggy-bank… You'll feel much better about yourself…

7. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

In short Apple is not letting you steal there software.

How about you go buy Leopard for your self and don't steal it.

8. durrell thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I normally feel more accomplished when I manage to get it working for free. :)

But in all honesty, if I had the money to go out and buy it I would have already..but I don't. So I'm making do with what I have in front of me, and that's not working too great.

Edit: Alright, I give up. Thanks a lot guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.